Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB Performance Mods - Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Abso-LUTELY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EB Performance Mods - Where to start

I've had my f150 for close to 6 months now and I just picked up a slick truck bed cap from Century, and I've ordered weathertech mats.

Like everyone else out there, I'm looking to squeeze more power out of the ecoboost and I have my eyes on a few bolt-on upgrades. I can't get everything at the same time, perhaps one item every few months. So I'm just wondering where to put my money FIRST.

2011 Scab XLT 4x4 Stock, Century Cap

Things I want:
Afe Stage 2 Intake
Livernois Tuner
Full Race Cat-Back exhaust
Full Race CAC
BBK Throttle Body

Another question is how will any of these affect our bi-annual emissions testing here in Illinois?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Rasslin

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Tune makes biggest change, meth (alky/water injection) and then downpipes.
Those 3 together are worth serious power.
If you get downpipes make sure you get catted ones, preferably ones that don't throw codes as I believe IL does check for emissions readiness but not sure.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Tune
Intercooler
Down Pipe
Intake

In that order.

ANY alteration to the exhaust is technically illegal. High flow cats will often NOT pass a sniffer test but CAN pass a visual test. Unless you know a guy that will look the other way and give you an inspection sticker).
Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

90% or more of power increases with come from a good tune. After that, you spend a lot of money for small results. If my next truck is an Ecoboost, I will just get tuned, a performance intercooler (I tow) and probably carry over my Full Race resonated exhaust.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
90% or more of power increases with come from a good tune. After that, you spend a lot of money for small results. If my next truck is an Ecoboost, I will just get tuned, a performance intercooler (I tow) and probably carry over my Full Race resonated exhaust.
Eric is your exhaust quite? I have the SOLO MACH 46 and its still too loud. Cold start up and under load its just too much. Had the MR400 and it was WAY too much for sound levels I'd like.

Plus with these small turbos I don't think the volume is there for a 4" exhaust and I think it hurt my low end torque. I have been considering replacing it with a Full Race resonated system.

Thanks sir!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

OP I'd do:

Tuner
Downpipe
CAC

IMHO
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 PM
hi!

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameBlueFX4
OP I'd do:

Tuner
Downpipe
CAC

IMHO
I think that I would put the intercooler before downpipe, but otherwise agree with you.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Where to start 1st? Assuming you are already using high octane (91/93) fuel, a tune/intake is going to give you the most gains. Besides more power a tune is going to give you better shift strategies, throttle response, etc.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO a tuner will give you the best results, then an intercooler.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameBlueFX4
Eric is your exhaust quite? I have the SOLO MACH 46 and its still too loud. Cold start up and under load its just too much. Had the MR400 and it was WAY too much for sound levels I'd like.

Plus with these small turbos I don't think the volume is there for a 4" exhaust and I think it hurt my low end torque. I have been considering replacing it with a Full Race resonated system.

Thanks sir!
Almost stock quiet. I pulled my 9500 lb out west and back and the only time I noticed was on hard pulls up mountains. I have the resonated version and am very pleased. And the price isn't necessarily fixed so call instead of ordering off the Web site.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 01-26-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: EB Performance Mods - Where to start