Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB owners- Would you buy another EB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EB owners- Would you buy another EB?

Looking at buying a F150 and can't decide which motor to go with. I love the thought of pulling with the EB but after reading through here I'm a little nervous because of the condensation issue, spark plug issues, and the carbon build up.

Looking for some input on how common these issues are or if it has more to do with anyone that has a problem post it on the internet, and if you currently have an EB would you buy another??
Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes definitely! I love mine & they tow like a diesel! Never experienced the condensation issue either. I changed my plugs at 38k & gapped them down to .034. Took me about a 1/2 hour. Nothing else compares to them in the 1/2ton truck market imo.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

If I bought another Ford, yes. But my next truck likely won't be Ford.

Mine has been great. Lives up to the power claims, average 19 mpg hand calculated lifetime (20,000 miles). Ford has the best looking truck by far. But I'm going to sell mine soon and am looking for a work truck that I won't cry over when I dent and ding it. Something with a few years on it and HD suspension.

I expect I'll be back in a half ton, new model ford in 5 years or so. But for the next few it doesn't make seems for my situation.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

There is no going away from the power of this motor once you've driven it for a while. I've never had any problems that you've noted, but I over maintain my vehicles. Most of the problems have been sorted out to a satisfactory level. The problem eco's were not driven hard enough to properly warm the engine oil up enough to burn out the water and fuel vapors. Two turbine compressors make a lot of water from the humidity in the air. One should not drive for hours on end without getting on the pedal to clear the water from the CAC. The truck, with the direct injection, should not idle for long periods of time. Fuel will wash out the cylinders. Even in Wyoming on the coldest of days, I rarely let it idle for any longer than 1 minute. Follow those rules and enjoy.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

For me my only two options would be a diesel or EB. And I have no need for a diesel right now. I really like the power.

The condensation issue and valve coking isn't a huge issue by any means. And it can be solved by the aftermarket world.

Spark plugs I replace every year before camping season. It's between $40-$100 depending on what country you live in and 30min of your time. Well worth it.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

We only have about 900 miles on ours but no issues yet. Only short trips so no relevant mpg numbers yet either.

We both love the power as compared to the outgoing 2010 5.4. Once we get about 5k miles on it I'll pick up a tuner.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I did. Had an 11 and now have a 14. I'll probably get a 17 when the time comes. Love twin turbo power.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd buy another one. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and I love the awesome towing power.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Yup. Bought the Taurus in 2009 and love the power train so much I got it in the truck.

In all seriousness, yes, early versions had a few bugs but they seem to have them worked out and I'd not hesitate to buy another. Power is awesome, MPG is so-so but the MPG is about on par or better than the 5.4 so that's fine. Did I mention the power is awesome?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Love the power but have had issue after issue. Got truck Sept of 2011 and in Nov. started getting the misfire issues due to plug gap. Eventually figured that out thanks to forums but it was Spring of 2013 before gap was common knowledge. Spring 2012 started having the condensation issues. Was fixed in Spring 2013 with revised IC...but due to bad work had a major boost leak that I did not find til Spring 14 that significantly dropped power. Starting Summer 14 heard the timing chain rattle and truck still does not run properly and is way down on power. Its currently at the dealer to see if timing is off and why my fuel pressure and wastegates go up and down like a roller coaster. Add in all the non EB issues like exploding rear window, shudder, several other things. This truck has been beyond problematic. 106k miles now.

I still love the engine and am willing to give it a second chance when I buy a new one. When its tuned and running right there is not a gas engine that can compare.

Quick Reply: EB owners- Would you buy another EB?