Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EB High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Issues?

I'm curious if any other Ecoboost owners have encountered any issues with the direct injection engine's fatal flaw of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). As a former 335i owner, I have had my fair share of HPFP issues because of the ethanol the US govt allows to be put in our gasoline. BMW didn't design their HPFP seals and inner components to be resistant to ethanol because they don't have ethanol in gasoline in Europe.

Typical signs of an HPFP starting to go are long cranks on startup and random misfires (hiccups when trying to accelerate). I have started to experience slightly longer cranks on a cold start and I am starting to get worried.

Any other owners care to chime in on the issue?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cold starts = just a little bit of a longer crank for me. No misfires yet. Knock on wood

Also had a E92 335! I miss that red interior. I had hpfp problems also with the bimmer.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by msportworld
I'm curious if any other Ecoboost owners have encountered any issues with the direct injection engine's fatal flaw of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). As a former 335i owner, I have had my fair share of HPFP issues because of the ethanol the US govt allows to be put in our gasoline. BMW didn't design their HPFP seals and inner components to be resistant to ethanol because they don't have ethanol in gasoline in Europe.

Typical signs of an HPFP starting to go are long cranks on startup and random misfires (hiccups when trying to accelerate). I have started to experience slightly longer cranks on a cold start and I am starting to get worried.

Any other owners care to chime in on the issue?
Herein the question should then be--did Ford design their EB HPFP seals and inner components to be resistant/compatible with the ethanol blended fuels common place in the USA?

My best guess, would be that Ford did accomplish this task in their planning, design, and engineering of this EB system; which they view as the 'future' of their motor design across the full spectrum of Ford's vehicle models, both for economy and enhanced emissions control.

"Slightly" longer cranks on 'cold start' would not give me pause for concern; especially, as we enter the cold period of the year. I am really looking forward to ordering an EB optioned truck, sometime in January.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have heard of one, but it was from water in the fuel according tot he tech at Ford. IF we start to see problems, I don't think it will be for a while though. How many miles did you guys have on your BMW's before you started seeing hpfp issues? I know that the 6.4 psd has had it's fair share, and there are a handful of 6.7 and Duramax ones that I have heard of too, but nothing to get worried about in my oppinion.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
Herein the question should then be--did Ford design their EB HPFP seals and inner components to be resistant/compatible with the ethanol blended fuels common place in the USA?

My best guess, would be that Ford did accomplish this task in their planning, design, and engineering of this EB system; which they view as the 'future' of their motor design across the full spectrum of Ford's vehicle models, both for economy and enhanced emissions control.

"Slightly" longer cranks on 'cold start' would not give me pause for concern; especially, as we enter the cold period of the year. I am really looking forward to ordering an EB optioned truck, sometime in January.
The better question to ask, is who did they source the hpfp from? Bosch? Delphi? If Bosch, I doubt that the seals will be any different than the BMW (assuming no change). If Delphi, possibly, but we should look to the GM forums to see how the longevity of the Cadillac DI motors are fairing for comparison.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stormtrooperecoboost
Cold starts = just a little bit of a longer crank for me. No misfires yet. Knock on wood

Also had a E92 335! I miss that red interior. I had hpfp problems also with the bimmer.
I replaced mine with an E92 M3 with the Fox Red interior and couldn't be happier!

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
That my friend is the question, now wherein lies the answer?

Originally Posted by straightaxle
I have heard of one, but it was from water in the fuel according tot he tech at Ford. IF we start to see problems, I don't think it will be for a while though. How many miles did you guys have on your BMW's before you started seeing hpfp issues? I know that the 6.4 psd has had it's fair share, and there are a handful of 6.7 and Duramax ones that I have heard of too, but nothing to get worried about in my oppinion.
Forum members have reported their HPFP's replaced a week after purchasing a new car to those that had their cars running strong for 50k+ miles.

Originally Posted by straightaxle
The better question to ask, is who did they source the hpfp from? Bosch? Delphi? If Bosch, I doubt that the seals will be any different than the BMW (assuming no change). If Delphi, possibly, but we should look to the GM forums to see how the longevity of the Cadillac DI motors are fairing for comparison.
Any idea where we can find the part number and manufacturer of the HPFP in the EB?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

3 fuel pumps on my 335i here, I don't think the ecoboost will exibit the dreaded fuel pump issues the 335 has its the injectors and carbon build up that would concern me most.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would assume the pump was designed for some ethanol seeing as the filler neck says no more than 10% ethanol. You can't run E85 in these trucks.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

BMW's HPFP design flat out sucked - too many of them failed to be a happenstance thing!

My Mazdaspeed 3 had a HPFP and it never even thought about hiccuping once in 60k miles.The Mazdaspeed forums have the occasional post concerning the HPFP but that is mostly about shoring the pump up for more horsepower. If they mention an outright pump failure it is usually in line with a normal fuel pump failure rate.

I'm thinking Ford learned a lot working with Mazda over the years, and how to make a reliable HPFP is one of the things learned. Making a DI engine that doesn't gum up the intake valves is another.

Now, the VW/Audi forums on those cars DI woes will make the hair on your neck stand up!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What about the gummed up valves on the BG fuel test ecoboost engine?

Quick Reply: EB High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) Issues?