Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Default EB hesitation

I got my truck reflashed maybe a month ago at which time the CAC replacement was ordered. The truck is in today for the CAC replacement. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that there is a hesitation that's starting to develop. I've noticed it shortly after starting a trip when the engine is cold. I'll stop for a stop sign 2, maybe 3 miles down the road. When I go to accelerate, nothing will happen. Truck won't react. I don't get a bogging sound and the boost gauge is showing slight vacuum. This happens for only a second and then full power is there. Best way to describe it is major turbo lag. Wondering if anybody else is experiencing this?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im feeling the same extended lag time. It's inconsistent as well. Are you running a tune?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the new CAC and haven't noticed a lag as described. 2012 Lariat Screw, 2 wheel drive.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ECOBEASTJOE
Im feeling the same extended lag time. It's inconsistent as well. Are you running a tune?
I have a 5 star sitting on the counter at home, but haven't installed it. Was waiting for the CAC to be installed.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Cord
I got my truck reflashed maybe a month ago at which time the CAC replacement was ordered. The truck is in today for the CAC replacement. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that there is a hesitation that's starting to develop. I've noticed it shortly after starting a trip when the engine is cold. I'll stop for a stop sign 2, maybe 3 miles down the road. When I go to accelerate, nothing will happen. Truck won't react. I don't get a bogging sound and the boost gauge is showing slight vacuum. This happens for only a second and then full power is there. Best way to describe it is major turbo lag. Wondering if anybody else is experiencing this?
Mine does that when cold. Feels a little under powered too.
I remember last year someone had posted that there was some hesitation with the turbos kicking in, until it was warmed up a bit.
Once I've been driving for a bit, mine is back to normal.
Warm weather, not an issue at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
Mine does that when cold. Feels a little under powered too.
I remember last year someone had posted that there was some hesitation with the turbos kicking in, until it was warmed up a bit.
Once I've been driving for a bit, mine is back to normal.
Warm weather, not an issue at all.
I agree with you on the power being reduced when cold. It has been pretty cold lately, so this could be just a cold weather glitch. If that's the case, then I'll just live with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Cord

I agree with you on the power being reduced when cold. It has been pretty cold lately, so this could be just a cold weather glitch. If that's the case, then I'll just live with it.
I don't think it's a glitch so much as protection for the turbos and such. Guess they want things to be warm before going to boost.
Could also be reduced for transmission protection.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think it's a glitch so much as protection for the turbos and such. Guess they want things to be warm before going to boost.
^^^THIS^^^

Mine also has a slight hesitation when it is cold and a little less power but I tend to let my engine warm up a little before asking too much. After it is warm there is no hesitation.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM

The reduced power, yes. Not this hesitation. It's enough for you to say "WTF?" and then you have power. Truly, the truck does not move. Couple of times I thought I was on glare ice.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 376 Likes on 229 Posts

Turbo lag would be low power at first while you have a lag time before the turbos spool and you get lots of power. The way you are describing things, you step on the go pedal and nothing happens. That sounds like a drive by wire issue.

Quick Reply: EB hesitation