Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB coil pack connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EB coil pack connector

Was changing my spark plugs and I broke two of the gray connectors that connect the wires to the coil packs ... Anyone know how get the gray connector off to replace it?? Parts guy at ford said you have to splice them but I think he's full of **** ... Looks like they come off I just don't want to break anything else trying to get it off if possible lol ...
Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anybody got anything on this. Changing plugs tomorrow. Just wondering what i'm up against. Maybe I should wait till next week when I don't have 1000 miles to face.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 3kushn
Anybody got anything on this. Changing plugs tomorrow. Just wondering what i'm up against. Maybe I should wait till next week when I don't have 1000 miles to face.
It's EXTREMELY easy to change plugs man, I just ****ed up cause I wasn't sure how to totally get the connector off.. Watching the video on it didn't help to much because there is two motions to getting it off and you can't see the second motion so let me save tho the hassle and tell you. On the gray connect there is a red tab you pull... If will click .. Once you have done that grab the connector and where the red part slides in the connector you will see a gray part with little lines/slots in it ... Use your thin to push that down then pull he connector off .. Seriously if you get that part down its cake !... That's why I only broke two lol .. On third I was cussing up a storm saying there isn't someone right and once I figured out what I wasn't doing I felt like a idiot lol . If you jabs the plugs gapped and all the tools you need by your side and ready to go .. It could be done in 30-45 mins easy!... The back two plugs aren't bad either you just have to move/ work around some hoses. Make sure you have a decent size extension. As figure out the connector part first and once you have it's cake .... The connector should pull off relatively easy so if it's not your doing something wrong ... Don't pull to hard or you'll end up in be same boat as me lol...
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I leave mine connected, enough slack in wires to do it that way.
The following users liked this post:
boosted150 (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm at 45,000 now and looking for platinum plugs, will replace the iridium's, too fragile.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Twinsix that helped a bunch. Guess I'm getting weak these days,
had to push with a screwdriver to get em to release. But all done in about
and hour. Worked verrrryy slow and careful on this first dress rehearsal.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:07 PM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rancheroracer
I leave mine connected, enough slack in wires to do it that way.
That's what I do. I replaced mine with stock plugs, but regapped to 0.032. No problems at all, took maybe an hour total. I anti-seize as well, always have on every engine, love the stuff.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Ok that's great and all... But does any one know how to get the gray connectors off the pigtails that go to the coil packs ?? lol ...
Old 04-23-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to dig this up but I am wondering about this as well. I had one of mine crack and lost two red tabs. I have always had an engine shudder/knock that my dealership says doesn't exist, I'm worried when it eventually fails they will blame it on the plugs and say I'm SOL. Any advice on repairing them or not to worry about it?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I managed to break 6 of the 8 on my 5.0L, removing them by hand about 60,000km ago; they were super brittle. Has anyone replaced any of their broken ones yet? Mine are all zip-tied to make sure they stay connected but the last couple days I've been noticing a shudder and a lose of power. I think I'm missing on one or more cylinders, and all my broken connectors aren't giving me much piece of mind.

Quick Reply: EB coil pack connector