Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Dtc p160a

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dtc p160a

Was clearing another trouble code (long story) and code reader showed the attached. I tried clearing it as well, but it would not clear with that particular reader. Wondering what it might mean. I understand it can have something to do with the PCM not being able to properly configure everything due to some change to the DCM, or something like that. I don't have anything aftermarket other than catch can. The only custom input to the computer was a change to tire size. I assume since changing tire size is an option built into the ford system, the pcm should be able to deal with that. My only thought is if that is something that also has to be changed in the PCM, and a subsequent PCM reset undid that, so DCM and PCM now don't match up? Any thoughts. Anyone think this could be problematic? Perhaps keep the adaptive tuning from getting things set ideally, costing me some mpgs?
Attached Thumbnails Dtc p160a-img_20151116_173128352_hdr.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Google result glimmered this ...
P160A - Control Module Vehicle Options Reconfiguration Error

Description:

This DTC sets when the PCM detects a mismatch in configuration data and programmable parameters between the PCM and BCM.

Possible Causes:

- Module reprogramming

- Aftermarket performance products

- PCM

Diagnostic Aids:

Reprogram or update the calibration. If the PCM already has the latest calibration, carry out the relearn vehicle data procedure on the scan tool. Check for other DTCs or drive symptoms for further action. Make sure to check for aftermarket performance products before installing a new PCM. If it is necessary to install a new PCM, refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Programming the VID Block for a replacement PCM.

Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All. Refer to the Description, Possible Causes and Diagnostic Aids for the DTC.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Assuming you used an aftermarket programmer for tire size, that's probably normal
Old 11-19-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't use an aftermarket programmer for tire size. That's why I'm concerned it's not normal. I know aftermarket programmers can cause that DTC, but I just had the ford dealer adjust parameters, as I understood, already in the stock computer as options. I have done the at home PCM reset before (disconnect battery negative, run connection from disconnected negative to still connected positive to fully drain power in about 5 mins). My understanding, from the ford tech that provided such instruction for pcm reset, was that this won't change the tire size parameter, as that is in the DCM, and won't be reset to some stock setting just from draining power. However, my wonder is if, when the tire size is changed in the DCM, the PCM had to be "instructed" to learn the parameters in the DCM, and so, when I at-home flashed the PCM, would it not relearn the DCM parameters without first being instructed, and so the error regarding the inability of the PCM to match up parameters with the DCM? I'm grasping at straws here, hoping somebody might understand these computerized systems enough to tell me what I need to do to correct this, even if it's not hurting much of anything.

Quick Reply: Dtc p160a