Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Driver side valve cover breather(if it is a breather) air flow direction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side valve cover breather(if it is a breather) air flow direction?

Hi Guys,

Trying to get an absolute answer about the direction of the airflow for the connection between the driver side valve cover to the turbo inlet or pre turbo inlet. Can't seem to get a clear answer. In the picture below, the red arrow points to what is the gray plastic tube that connects to from the driver side valve cover to the turbo or pre-turbo inlet. I just need to know for sure which direction is the airflow. Initially I thought it was the turbo pulling air out of the valve cover, hence venting that side. I was also told by others that it introduce fresh air into the valve cover as well? Does it go both ways? Ford engineer if you could chime in that would be great. What is confusing to me is that after I disconnected the plastic tube and put put my finger on the turbo piping connector end to see if it would suck air or push air out while my brother step on the gas and rev her up to about 3k and nothing happens. No air was suck or being push out either so I don't get it. What I do see that is evidently clear is that there is oil on that connector so I'm confuse as to how the driver side works unlike the passenger while PCV where it is obvious.

BTW, the passenger side is not in question I already know it's PCV. Driver side is not PCV for sure it's just an empty plastic tube that connects to the valve cover and it's hollow.

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Driver side valve cover breather(if it is a breather) air flow direction?-untitled.png  

Last edited by shingi; 11-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 AM

wow no one. Thought someone might have an idea. impressive.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Is the 2" (approx.) hose that connects to the turbo wet with oil? The one I'm referring to is right below and between the oil filler and dipstick.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Nobody knows the crankcase drain plug torque either...but I'm letting it go.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Crankcase drain plug torque is gutentight, which is German for good and tight. Not really. But it is the proper torque.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM

it is this one here. Is it called crank case drain plug? It isn't just 2 inch long. It's more like 6-8inch and it's bended a little. still need to figure out what airflow is heading.
Attached Thumbnails Driver side valve cover breather(if it is a breather) air flow direction?-f150-engine-compartment.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarmall
Is the 2" (approx.) hose that connects to the turbo wet with oil? The one I'm referring to is right below and between the oil filler and dipstick.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Nobody knows the crankcase drain plug torque either...but I'm letting it go.
My apologies for dragging you off topic. I was referring to the 2" DIAMETER hose that connects to the business end of the turbo being wet eith oil. You referred to it in the diagram in your first post and called it "turbo piping". The crankcase is the area where the crankshaft and engine oil sump reside.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM

It's for venting crankcase pressure caused from boost, so the answer would be out. It feeds the already metered air back into the turbo inlet, but after the MAF. If this line was simply vented to the atmosphere, it would cause a drivability issue under boost due to metered air leaking out.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

To answer the ? air flows both ways. Under light load with manifold at negitive presure air is drawn into the engine by the pcv valve and with the manifold at poaitive presure [boost] the crank case presure is vented out to the intake air stream
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Shook0002,

I see what you are saying but yesterday I went back and started her up and remove that line that is on the picture above and put my finger on the valve cover end and there a slight sucking pressure? It seems to be sucking air into the valve cover. How come? If you recall on my original post I originally put my finger on the turbo inlet end and there was no pressure sucking in or pushing out. Does it mean that the turbo inlet doesn't do anything and just lets the valve cover suck in air as it needs? Or if my thoughts are correct, does it suck in air when needed during idle and vent out during boost? I will be taking it off again and have someone step on the gas and I will try to feel it to see if the valve cover is pushing out air while in boost.

Is there pressure on the crankcase if the vehicle is not moving evening if you step on the gas and let her rip up to 3-4k rpm.

Last edited by shingi; 11-21-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by shingi
Shook0002,

I see what you are saying but yesterday I went back and started her up and remove that line that is on the picture above and put my finger on the valve cover end and there a slight sucking pressure? It seems to be sucking air into the valve cover. How come? If you recall on my original post I originally put my finger on the turbo inlet end and there was no pressure sucking in or pushing out. Does it mean that the turbo inlet doesn't do anything and just lets the valve cover suck in air as it needs? Or if my thoughts are correct, does it suck in air when needed during idle and vent out during boost? I will be taking it off again and have someone step on the gas and I will try to feel it to see if the valve cover is pushing out air while in boost.

Is there pressure on the crankcase if the vehicle is not moving evening if you step on the gas and let her rip up to 3-4k rpm.
Like I said air flows both ways into the valve cover under light load manifold vacume and out of the valve cover and into the intake air stream under heavy load with no vacume and boost conditions. It works basicaly the same on a NA engine but without the boost condition When the crankcase blowby is greater than the PCV valve can handel the excess is vented useualy into the intake air stream.

Quick Reply: Driver side valve cover breather(if it is a breather) air flow direction?