Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Driveline shudder has returned!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveline shudder has returned!!!

Approx. 9 months ago I had TSB 12-07-13 (lube drive shaft) and TSB 11-9-17(install new spacer on rear end/new U bolt and nuts) on my 2011 F150 screw with 6.5ft bed. I had these done due to a shudder on moderate acceleration and deceleration. After the TSB's the problem was gone, no shudder. 4 months ago I had a HBS 2'' leveling kit installed, never had a problem. Yesterday my shudder returned exactly the same symptoms as before. Have an appointment at the dealership next week. Anyone else out there had a similar issue? If so did you do anything else besides the TSB's listed above?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Why not just install the RoadMaster Active Suspension and be done with it? Many here have done that and problem solved.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM

well the threads i read from 2011 some said it helped and some said it did nothing, have there been any issues with warranty coverage?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by dhagen100
well the threads i read from 2011 some said it helped and some said it did nothing, have there been any issues with warranty coverage?
I haven't followed the threads as I don't have the issue, but the original threads I saw were overwhelmingly positive about RAS fixing the problem if the problem was axle wrap. If I replace my current truck with a 6.5 bed for the HD Payload package, RAS will be one of my first mods among a Southern Speed (formerly SoCal) tune and an after market IC to replace that sorry IC they are using now.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

spring clamps placed on the leaf springs ~6" in front of the axle. Cheaper, same concept as RAS as far as axle wrap
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM

well I don't believe it is axle wrap, since the TSB's done previous removed the problem completely, at least for a short time. I will definitely have to take that into account. Thanks for the info. I wonder if its possible the leveling kit has changed the angle enough that is now out of whack again, but why would it take so long to start shuttering again.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

well I don't believe it is axle wrap, since the TSB's done previous removed the problem completely, at least for a short time. I will definitely have to take that into account. Thanks for the info. I wonder if its possible the leveling kit has changed the angle enough that is now out of whack again, but why would it take so long to start shuttering again.

It absolutely is axle wrap. I'm sure that some of the ancillary problems are related to the other TSB's but the ultimate cure is a helper spring added to the current leaf pack, clamped to the pack, or a set of ladder/traction bars.
The problem is you will lose some of that nicer ride when it's unloaded. Now, to be fair, the RAS does help quite a bit but it doesn't seem to cure all of the problems. I haven't decided yet whether to get the RAS setup or a set of helper springs.

See the image below so you understand it completely. I've dealt with this on other trucks and cars with live rear axles so it can be cured.

Last edited by OddBall; 09-27-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM

thanks for the picture, and I do understand what it is, but why would it not happen for 9 months after the TSB's were performed? With varying levels of throttle the whole time. Now it happens at soft acceleration/deceleration, it happens at harsh acc/dec. and it only started to show up again yesterday
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zimmer0
spring clamps placed on the leaf springs ~6" in front of the axle. Cheaper, same concept as RAS as far as axle wrap
i guess i could try this and see if it makes any difference...beats going to the dealership
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

thanks for the picture, and I do understand what it is, but why would it not happen for 9 months after the TSB's were performed? With varying levels of throttle the whole time. Now it happens at soft acceleration/deceleration, it happens at harsh acc/dec. and it only started to show up again yesterday
Thats a bit of a mystery to me as well. Perhaps lower temps, depending on where you are. Did anything change? Habits, driving style, temperatures, etc??

I get the shudder every single time I step on the gas, initially, then it disappears. I've noticed a slight shudder on deceleration too which would probably be axle wrap in reverse.

Quick Reply: Driveline shudder has returned!!!