Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Drive by wire sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drive by wire sluggish?

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a seemingly sluggish throttle response but only sometimes. The time between pushing the pedal and seeing a response from the engine doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it's fast and other times there's a slight delay and other times there's a big delay. This is NOT turbo spool. This is a delay between the pedal and the engine actually doing anything. Our last vehicle was drive by wire and it worked flawlessly. You couldn't tell the pedal wasn't connected directly to the engine. Fords drive by wire seems sluggish. Has anyone else experienced anything like this.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Yup, drove me nuts. Specially with larger tires. Tune fixed it for me
Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vozaday
Yup, drove me nuts. Specially with larger tires. Tune fixed it for me
I have been trying to get my 91 performance tune figured out because now that the engine/transmission runs so good with the tune it makes the lack of throttle response more noticeable.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by PlethoraGreen
I have been trying to get my 91 performance tune figured out because now that the engine/transmission runs so good with the tune it makes the lack of throttle response more noticeable.
Have you data logged a daily driving scenario, it might catch it in that. You probably just need a little more throttle tip in. Also some people have mentioned that the pedal positioning seemed to affect the throttle, I'm not sure on the pedal positioning thing but it is worth a try.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It couldn't hurt to try this, it made a difference on my 5.0L

I wish they would make a "STICKY" about this procedure, there are so many people that are saying this and saying that about what if will do and what it won't do....here are the facts:
If your vehicle has throttle lag and it doesn't matter if it's with wire or without wire this procedure will fix the lag, it will fix any throttle body TPS scale 0 - 100% on all fuel injected vehicles. If you don't have the lag then it does nothing for you but if you still do, it will not hurt anything and if it does then you already had something wrong with your vehicle.

Put key in the ignition and turn to the "ON POSITION" do not start motor!
If you did accidently start the motor just cut it off and start over...no big deal!
Key to "ON POSITION"
Wait for the chimes(bells/whistle’s to stop) then press the pedal to the floor slowly, once you hit the floorboard let the pedal back up quickly, now turn the key to the "OFF POSITION". Now you can do this procedure two more times or you can start the motor and go for a ride and see if it fix the lag, if it didn't try doing it again but do this procedure a total of three time before starting the motor and going for a ride.
I have done this procedure to motorcycles/cars and trucks.....on a motorcycle Kill switch in "OFF POSITION" "key to "ON POSITION" Now switch the Kill switch to "ON POSITION" ,Now rotate the throttle to full open and quickly return to closed.....switch kill switch to off and turn key to off, now do this two more times and you're ready to ride.

DIAMONBIRD
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by cecoboost
I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a seemingly sluggish throttle response but only sometimes. The time between pushing the pedal and seeing a response from the engine doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes it's fast and other times there's a slight delay and other times there's a big delay. This is NOT turbo spool. This is a delay between the pedal and the engine actually doing anything. Our last vehicle was drive by wire and it worked flawlessly. You couldn't tell the pedal wasn't connected directly to the engine. Fords drive by wire seems sluggish. Has anyone else experienced anything like this.
Most new cars are equipped with a drive-by-wire system. Throttle response is often affected badly by this and drivers feel a noticeable delay when quickly changing the position of the gas pedal. Some are worse than others as you mentioned.

We can resolve this issue for you with out a doubt. We offer multiple different custom tune files that improve throttle response. Not to mention much better response from the turbos, and even improve fuel economy as well. Customers report that the truck feels lighter, throttle response has improved immensely, and they cannot believe it did not drive like this from the factory.

Some customers are not looking to set the world on fire but just looking for some overall improved drivability, while others are after our highest performing tunes possible. We can set you up with up to 4 tunes on our Mycal tuning device to get the best of both worlds and for multiple octane levels as well. Feel free to give us a call or email if you would like to discuss some options to unlock some hidden potential of your Ecoboost and to help you enjoy your vehicle today.

Click here to see more information on upgrading your Ecoboost
313-561-5500 ext 1
info@livernoismotorsports.com
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

So glad someone intelligent finally asked about this and didn't whine and complain about the perceived "turbo lag" that many of the other people who post about this claim that it is. Kudos to the OP for being educated about it before blindly blaming a turbo lag issue that simply isn't there in the EB.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

I have this same thing on my 5.0, and it is tough to get used to it. Why do automakers do this? I know it is common on other brands too. Is it to protect the transmission?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM

I think there will always be a bit of a delay by the nature of drive by wire. But I also believe it is to force people to drive more economically. You are more aware if you have to press the pedal more.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
So glad someone intelligent finally asked about this and didn't whine and complain about the perceived "turbo lag" that many of the other people who post about this claim that it is. Kudos to the OP for being educated about it before blindly blaming a turbo lag issue that simply isn't there in the EB.
when I mentioned that to the dealer, they told me it was "turbo lag"
so it's no surprise that the average Joe might think it is too...

Quick Reply: Drive by wire sluggish?