Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Dirt in intake tract

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dirt in intake tract

A little bit of history. I drive my truck 5000 miles a month. I drive from NC to ND for work, and drive roughly 100 miles of dirt/dusty roads.

That being said I pulled my intake tubes off at 10K miles to see if the stock filter was cutting it in the dusty conditions. The OEM filter looked fine, but the intake tubes were covered in dirt. So, I switched to the AEM dryflow. Cleaned it every 5k miles. After 10K miles I pulled the intake again and took a look. Just as dirty. Now I'm afraid my turbo's have been eating a lot of dirt/dust for 20K miles. I also didn't notice any blowby in the intake.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Pulled my tune for now and switched back to a paper filter. Next step is to take a look at the turbos I guess. Anyone else running into this?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

everything sealed up and all that? ask the dealer would be the next step i think
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake problems

Have you left the intake stock? I changed mine to a K&N set up which eliminated any potential problems in my opinion. However my biggest concern was not dirt, it was water. A good friend who has a 2012 Harley Davidson F150 sucked up water and ruined his engine with 18000 kms on the truck. He went through a puddle in a construction zone which was less than one foot deep and lost his engine due to a hydrolock. His intake is at the bottom of the front bumper! On a 4wd truck! He is furious but had to pay over 10 grand for the new engine.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Everything was stock except for the AEM filter. I just recently decided to put the S&B intake on it. I'll check again after 10K miles.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm surprised the OEM is letting some dust by. They're a sealed system and usually do an excellent job of keeping all foreign material out.

It's been well known in the diesel community to never run K&N or any oil based filter on any truck with a turbo. They "dust" the turbo and end up ruining the thrust bearing and oil seals inside.

I would only run a dry paper based filter on the EB. I would also make you have no leaks in the system to let dust in...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM

I was very surprised also. First thing I did was was clean where the intake pipes connected to each other. Then I made sure the clamps were tight, but not overly tight. The more I think about it the more I'm sure there was a leak post filter. The filter itself wasn't overly dirty. I am in some pretty dusty areas 2 weeks out the month, so I figured 10K was a good time to switch to a new filter. I went with the paper filter with my S&B for my road trips, and have the oiled filter for when I'm home.

I had a K&N drop in on my highly modified WRX and that bad boy went for over 100K miles. Although, that car seen much less dust, and was kept properly cleaned and oiled. My 6.0 Powerstroke had an S&B oiled filter also. That turbo lasted over 150K miles before I sold the truck.

I understand they offer less filtration, which is why I've kept this truck dry for North Dakota. Hopefully this issue has been resolved or mitigated as much as possible.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Only thing I can think of is the top of the air box is not getting seated onto the base completely. Have you verified the filter isn't upside down and the top is sealing good to the base with all the clips snapped tight? It shouldn't be able to leak anywhere in the tubing.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM

Filter was in correctly. Haven't really done any kind of test to ensure the filter housing was sealing correctly. But, it's all off now anyways.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

I've only run k&n in my old Sierra and my ATV. I Would never run it on anything else. Dust was getting past both even with regular cleaning and oiling.

Quick Reply: Dirt in intake tract