Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Diablo Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diablo Tuner

Has anyone tried the Diablo tuner on a 5.0L? I had the SCT tuner for about 2 weeks and it caused the truck to wig out for some reason and I was thinking about switching to the Diablo tuner.

Last edited by venyV; 12-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Keep the SCT

The SCT has access to tables that the Diablo does not. The diablo inTune is a great package. I ran it for 8 months before I switched to SCT with custom tunes. I have no complaints about the stock tunes that come from Diablo. After an in depth discussion with an experienced tuner he led me to the SCT unit. The difference is night and day. The power curve comes in much earlier and stays on longer. Shifts at full throttle are lightening fast, but smooth as glass under light throttle. The truck will hold sixth gear longer and accelerate considerably better without the downshift. There are several reputable tuners that work with the SCT devices. I went with Southern Speed Inc because of the super fast turn around time and open line policy where by you speak directly to the tuner on the phone rather than email or some other sort of automated correspondence.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (12-03-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

So did you dyno your truck before and after the SCT tune?
Any change in gas mileage?
http://www.southernspeedinc.com/tuning/ ?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi

Definitely T4 is very aggressive tune, but MPG on highway is 17-19 city is 14-16
Shifts are very perfect.

SCT basic tunes earlier was giving me troubles , but recently updated the firmware and tunes.
Shift points are very very smooth, easily move from 1 to 6. 6 has more power and the acceleration is stiff.Ride is also very smooth
MPG highway 20-24 and city 17-19

arti
Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info violinguy77. Only reason I am not running the SCT is when I installed it I ran it for about 2 weeks and then one day went to pull out of my driveway and truck went crazy. Low oil pressure light, tractions control light, and check engine light came on. Could not excelerate pressing the gas peddle did nothing truck was just dead. Thank god it only did it while I was pulling out of my driveway. Then when I shut off the truck I could not get it started for about 2 hours, then when it started it I could only idel and not go about 2000 rpms when I tried to drive it. Took the program off and everything worked fine. Put the chip back on truck would not move. Took the program off took it up to the dealership they checked it out said nothing was wrong with it. While the tune was on there I loved it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Updates

Originally Posted by venyV
Thanks for the info violinguy77. Only reason I am not running the SCT is when I installed it I ran it for about 2 weeks and then one day went to pull out of my driveway and truck went crazy. Low oil pressure light, tractions control light, and check engine light came on. Could not excelerate pressing the gas peddle did nothing truck was just dead. Thank god it only did it while I was pulling out of my driveway. Then when I shut off the truck I could not get it started for about 2 hours, then when it started it I could only idel and not go about 2000 rpms when I tried to drive it. Took the program off and everything worked fine. Put the chip back on truck would not move. Took the program off took it up to the dealership they checked it out said nothing was wrong with it. While the tune was on there I loved it.
There have been several updates to the canned tunes. Don't sweat the weird issues you had previously. If you are using a hand held SCT programmer then you have no worries. The custom tunes are an entirely different beast. It will be the most bang for your buck. The only other mod that gets you the bang for your buck is a super charger. I have not dyno'd the SSI tune yet. My videos are on you tube of my 0-60 runs with each tuner. SSI is almost a full second faster from 0-60 over the diablo canned tune. violinguy77 is my youtube handle.

Quick Reply: Diablo Tuner