Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Dealer going to test for leakiing injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Dealer going to test for leakiing injectors

My 2014 Ecoboost continues to have issues with fuel in oil. The oil level rises on the stick by about 3/8" within a few hundred miles of an oil change and stays there. It will go down to near the "full" mark if I take a trip of 150 miles or more. It will again rise to about 3/8' above the full mark after several 30-40 mile trips. It smells of gas. I have about 11,000 miles and have changed the oil five times. Analysis of the oil on each change shows 6,5,5,4, and 4 % fuel dilution. I know that direct injection engines will have some fuel in the oil but this amount is compromising the viscosity to the point where the oil tech is telling me there could be engine damage. The last test showed high levels of copper. I have had the TSB performed that addresses this issue. It greatly improved the situation but did not cure it. Before the TSB was performed the level would rise as much as an inch above the full mark. The dealer also performed a High Pressure Fuel pump test which was negative for fuel leaking into the crankcase.

After the service manager telling me that it has never been "documented" that the oil level level has been above the full mark, (I personally watched him pull the stick several months ago and look at an overfull level) I took it in yesterday and got him to agree that it was overfull. He now scheduled an appointment to bore scope the cylinders to see if they can detect any injector leakage.

I am really frustrated that I haven't got more cooperation from the dealer. Because the truck has not thrown a code, Ford's stance is there is nothing wrong. I am sure hoping that this test reveals an issue that can be corrected. Should I be concerned that the dealer could mess something up doing this procedure? I don't have the utmost confidence in them at this point. Any suggestions on what else to try? I am sure wishing I had taken my local mechanics advice and not purchased the Ecoboost.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al XLT
My 2014 Ecoboost continues to have issues with fuel in oil. The oil level rises on the stick by about 3/8" within a few hundred miles of an oil change and stays there. It will go down to near the "full" mark if I take a trip of 150 miles or more. It will again rise to about 3/8' above the full mark after several 30-40 mile trips. It smells of gas. I have about 11,000 miles and have changed the oil five times. Analysis of the oil on each change shows 6,5,5,4, and 4 % fuel dilution. I know that direct injection engines will have some fuel in the oil but this amount is compromising the viscosity to the point where the oil tech is telling me there could be engine damage. The last test showed high levels of copper. I have had the TSB performed that addresses this issue. It greatly improved the situation but did not cure it. Before the TSB was performed the level would rise as much as an inch above the full mark. The dealer also performed a High Pressure Fuel pump test which was negative for fuel leaking into the crankcase.

After the service manager telling me that it has never been "documented" that the oil level level has been above the full mark, (I personally watched him pull the stick several months ago and look at an overfull level) I took it in yesterday and got him to agree that it was overfull. He now scheduled an appointment to bore scope the cylinders to see if they can detect any injector leakage.

I am really frustrated that I haven't got more cooperation from the dealer. Because the truck has not thrown a code, Ford's stance is there is nothing wrong. I am sure hoping that this test reveals an issue that can be corrected. Should I be concerned that the dealer could mess something up doing this procedure? I don't have the utmost confidence in them at this point. Any suggestions on what else to try? I am sure wishing I had taken my local mechanics advice and not purchased the Ecoboost.

1) Do you know the TSB number, by chance?

2) The service manager is a f***ing idiot. You have UOAs showing oil / fuel dilution and low miles on the odo. How much more documentation does he need?

3) Bore-scoping? Sounds more complicated than the usual measure of just testing fuel pressure on the rail with the truck turned off... please find out how much this is going to cost you.

Also, here's a question: If you have an injector leaking THAT much to cause a minimum of 4% oil dilution over a period of 5 oil changes through 11,000mi, how come you haven't gotten a CEL for a lean bank where the injector is? Check for any pending codes...
Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Some guy

Here's my thinking, basically.

1) The dealer can test for leaking injectors. Lord only knows how much that'll cost you to have all six tested, and it sounds like it's going to take a while with his method. That could cost you upwards of $200 or at least, say, $150. If they find the leaky injector, good. Now you have to buy that through the dealership which will be at least another $50 plus the labor to put it in. Now we're talking around $250-300. If they don't find a leaky injector, you leave the dealership with wasted time and -$150 for the testing.

2) You could go on Amazon and buy three Motorcraft-brand fuel injectors for your engine for $150 (or go for broke and get all six) and replace a whole bank on your truck, which would be 99% likely to solve a leaky injector problem. If it doesn't solve your problem, you still have three or six brand new injectors and you know that's not the problem.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM

"1) Do you know the TSB number, by chance?"

TSB 14-0014 Fuel in oil

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...-fuel-oil.html

"2) You have UOAs showing oil / fuel dilution and low miles on the odo. How much more documentation does he need?

They won't even acknowledge them.

"usual measure of just testing fuel pressure on the rail with the truck turned off"

Its been done but like the service manager, I don't have a lot of confidence with the technicians. I plan on switching dealers but want to get through this step first.

The cost for this is not going to come out of my billfold. The service manager says "they will probably have to eat this cost too" after telling me that they had to pay for some of the other things that they have tried. The regional rep told me that the previous procedure was paid for at a higher level. So I am getting lied to. The dealer was instructed to do this procedure by the regional "engineer" I believe I was told. They certainly won't have to pay either.

Last edited by Big Al XLT; 12-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Some guy

Hm. Well I REALLY want to hear what the solution is. At least tell them that if this doesn't work, you want new injectors. Even if you put them yourself, get the parts. Sorry you have to go through all this...
Old 12-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

odds are your HPFP seal is leaking into the valve cover gasoline at a steady rate that only evaporates during a long warmed up run at a rate above the steady leakage rate. U would see a lot of marked decreased performance if a stuck injector. It is much less expensive to just change it and move on. The Pump shaft seal is a no brainer.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-13-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by papa tiger
odds are your HPFP seal is leaking
The dealer has supposedly performed the test to determine if the HPFP is leaking. I have been told it is not.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 AM

The only test for a shaft seal leak is to remove the HPFP and it leaking a small amount continously will not affect the pressure output or holding pressure of the system. Diesel mechanical driven pumps are an example of engine blocks filling with fuel.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by papa tiger
The only test for a shaft seal leak is to remove the HPFP and it leaking a small amount continuously will not affect the pressure output or holding pressure of the system. Diesel mechanical driven pumps are an example of engine blocks filling with fuel.
The procedure that was performed was to drain the oil and let it drain overnite. Then the HPFP was run (by computer, engine not running) for a certain amount of time, don't remember how long. Drain plug was pulled to determine if there is any fuel in the pan.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:17 AM

The HPFP is run by mechanical means of camshaft turning with motor running. It is a mechanical pump with the shaft moving by mechanical hook up to camshaft with the shaft of the pump sealed. There is no Computer running HPFP. U are abeing dupped. It is a common leak for mechanical HP fuel pumps. Most likely there is damage to your motor from running so much gasoline in the oil already. If that is the case the rings are damaged and your compression is less than required in specs.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-14-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer going to test for leakiing injectors