Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Custom Ecoboost Intercooler Washer Fluid Spray Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM
B-52 Chief

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb Custom Ecoboost Intercooler Washer Fluid Spray Kit

After much consideration and a little research, I think I'm just going to do a custom setup using what Ford has already supplied me with to make a custom intercooler washer fluid spray kit.

1. Tap into the washer fluid line after the washer motor and install T connector and in-line shutoff valve. T connector will route fluid via an additional line to 2 sprayers mounted on the intercooler, and in-line shutoff valve will eliminate porting washer fluid to the wipers.

2. Route tubing from T connector to a 2nd T connector located by the intercooler.

3. Close to the 1st T connector, install an in-line shutoff valve to eliminate porting washer fluid to the intercooler. This will allow you to use your wipers as normal when needed.

3. Run 2 lines from 2nd T connector to 2 sprayers mounted on intercooler.

4. Spray Away . Close/open shutoff valves and spray washer fluid over intercooler using existing windshield washer fluid button & fluid.

Total cost about $25. I think the only down side would be that you would have to open and close the shutoff valves when you wanted to switch back and forth between uses. How often do you use your wiper fluid besides in the winter or when out getting dirty though...

I figure for $25 and a couple hours of time, it's worth a shot... It can easily be returned to stock configuration.

Open to any CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Measure IAT's to see if it's really a problem before rigging up a solution.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Just find a couple of good washer spray nozzles that have a wide spray pattern...did it on my R-7 the same way...it worked

I used Ford AEROSTAR washer nozzles

Here is a pic at 1990 SCCA Nationals in Salinas Kansas...note the front and rear wheel lifting ;-)

Figured I'd post my 1st gen RX-7 at Road Atlanta IT Nationals

Last edited by DieselDawg; 12-20-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Alabama is my state

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

And the reason for doing this is? Spray water over it for evaporation and thus more cooling?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfeffer
And the reason for doing this is? Spray water over it for evaporation and thus more cooling?
Exactly. Water has a much higher specific heat then air and will absorb a lot more energy more quickly without the temperature of the water itself going up much at all.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
G2G

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

CO2 Canisters work better. Or just set it up for a meth/water injection, you'll need an actual nozzle then to spray, and you'd have to tap the intake close to the manifold, but you'd see huge differences with that compared to IC cooling. Fun idea though. DieselDawg I actually did the same thing on my 87 TII. Miss that car, it was so much fun.

- Steiner
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Idea, wish Ford would have thought of this beforehand. I remember my Mitsu Evo 8 had a button which utilized the windshield wiper fluid located in the trunk.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Pongdadong
Good Idea, wish Ford would have thought of this beforehand. I remember my Mitsu Evo 8 had a button which utilized the windshield wiper fluid located in the trunk.
Ford was trying their hardest to make the truck not seem like a turbo v6. They muffled all the turbo noises, minimized lag, tuned the throttle control, and didn't even include a boost gauge. I'm sure that Ford knew this was available, but decided against another add-on doo-dad, cost, parts to fail, bottles to fill, buttons to push, etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Why not install an electric fan behind the intercooler? Put it on a fused toggle switch and turn it on and off when you please. That's what the old Porsche rear engine turbos needed. You can find 10" fans on eBay for $20
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

The winshield washer method is cheap to do and cheap to run...works just fine and easy to hide. Most of the time you can just use water...or a 50/50 mix of water/alcohol

Quick Reply: Custom Ecoboost Intercooler Washer Fluid Spray Kit