Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

couple questions for aftermarket stuff of the EB

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default couple questions for aftermarket stuff of the EB

I just picked up my truck Monday and I have already been bitten by the mod bug. I am looking for some answeres on a couple things...

1. Turbo Timer - I read over the three or four post here and doesn't seem like they got any good answers. My understanding is they aren't needed, but I want one. Can you just go to say Autozone and by one or do they have to be specific to the truck?

2. Blow off valve - I want to hear it all! My understanding is this a bypass system so the air is vented back into the intake. Is there away to make it louder or change it to where it bleeds it off into the air? with really affecting performace?

3. There is a bunch of plastic under the truck covering around the motor and this "air dam" hanging down in the front...is that stuff needed? I seems to reduce the clearance of the truck and IMO looks crappy. I expect to see that on a car, not a truck.

Over all I really enjoy driving this truck! Major upgrade from my 09 5.4L

Thanks!

Last edited by 09f150guy; 02-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

1. Turbo timer is not needed as this truck has a vaccuum operated system that continues to draw coolant through the turbos after the truck is turned off. This is exactly the same as what a turbo timer does and doesn't waste gas or force you to leave the truck running to do it. Furthermore, a turbo timer requires a harness to be wired inline of your main ignition harness to take over when you take out the key. This doesn't exist so you would have to splice about 6-8 wires yourself to do it. On top of that, you would also have to fool the ignition key itself to think it's still in there similar to the way the remote start operates. In my opinion, WAY too much work when the truck essentially already does this for you.

2. Blow off valve. All it does is make noise and doesn't offer any increase or change in performance. The bypass/blow off valves on these trucks are internal and are electronically controlled and therefore so far anyway, can't be disabled. If you put one on the truck, you would also create an extremely rich fuel mixture when it opens as the air you just released is already being compensated for by the PCM and now will have fuel but not enough air to mix it with.

3. The air dam should be left on as it aids in cooling and airflow through the intercooler and radiator. For 2011 and forward this was a new design and I have seen 09 and 10 trucks put it on because it helps their truck cool better. There was several threads last summer where people took theirs off and checked air and water temps and noticed significant increases in both temps when this air dam was removed. Ford put it there for a reason and a very good one at that.

Just to elaborate a little more on the BOV explanation. I have been building and tuning 1000+ hp turbo cars for 10 or so years now and the ONLY reason you should replace or put a bigger BOV on any car is if it is flowing too much air or boost for the existing one that is on it. Sure plenty of people want the noise and think it's cool to do, but most also don't realize the negative effect on the fuel mixture that it is causing. Custom tuning can somewhat accommodate for this, but even then, it's still there to a degree. Just not worth the trouble on these trucks being everything is electronically controlled.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
1. Turbo timer is not needed as this truck has a vaccuum operated system that continues to draw coolant through the turbos after the truck is turned off. This is exactly the same as what a turbo timer does and doesn't waste gas or force you to leave the truck running to do it. Furthermore, a turbo timer requires a harness to be wired inline of your main ignition harness to take over when you take out the key. This doesn't exist so you would have to splice about 6-8 wires yourself to do it. On top of that, you would also have to fool the ignition key itself to think it's still in there similar to the way the remote start operates. In my opinion, WAY too much work when the truck essentially already does this for you.

2. Blow off valve. All it does is make noise and doesn't offer any increase or change in performance. The bypass/blow off valves on these trucks are internal and are electronically controlled and therefore so far anyway, can't be disabled. If you put one on the truck, you would also create an extremely rich fuel mixture when it opens as the air you just released is already being compensated for by the PCM and now will have fuel but not enough air to mix it with.

3. The air dam should be left on as it aids in cooling and airflow through the intercooler and radiator. For 2011 and forward this was a new design and I have seen 09 and 10 trucks put it on because it helps their truck cool better. There was several threads last summer where people took theirs off and checked air and water temps and noticed significant increases in both temps when this air dam was removed. Ford put it there for a reason and a very good one at that.

Just to elaborate a little more on the BOV explanation. I have been building and tuning 1000+ hp turbo cars for 10 or so years now and the ONLY reason you should replace or put a bigger BOV on any car is if it is flowing too much air or boost for the existing one that is on it. Sure plenty of people want the noise and think it's cool to do, but most also don't realize the negative effect on the fuel mixture that it is causing. Custom tuning can somewhat accommodate for this, but even then, it's still there to a degree. Just not worth the trouble on these trucks being everything is electronically controlled.
Your responses make me sad...

The air dam looks like crap...how much of a temp difference are we talking? I'm on my phone and the search feature doesn't work so I can't look it up
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

It may not be visually appealing to you, but it really does serve a legitimate function being there. I assume this is the one at the VERY bottom of the truck you are speaking of right? It's very easy to remove if you decide to, but given that you live in Louisiana, I wouldn't mess with it personally.

Hell it's your truck...do what you want I just offer my opinion and a little experience
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't respond to question 1 or 2 but I have removed the lower front air dam and I haven't noticed any increase in operating temperatures. That includes towing a travel trailer through Nevada, Utah and Colorado last summer.
Other threads have discussed this and it does reduce turbulance under the truck and that would increase fuel economy.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
It may not be visually appealing to you, but it really does serve a legitimate function being there. I assume this is the one at the VERY bottom of the truck you are speaking of right? It's very easy to remove if you decide to, but given that you live in Louisiana, I wouldn't mess with it personally.

Hell it's your truck...do what you want I just offer my opinion and a little experience
The is the dam I'm talking about.

And the plastic that looks to be covering the rear of the motor
Attached Thumbnails couple questions for aftermarket stuff of the EB-image-2166880086.jpg   couple questions for aftermarket stuff of the EB-image-1494048518.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 11FX4
I can't respond to question 1 or 2 but I have removed the lower front air dam and I haven't noticed any increase in operating temperatures. That includes towing a travel trailer through Nevada, Utah and Colorado last summer.
Other threads have discussed this and it does reduce turbulance under the truck and that would increase fuel economy.
Have you noticed an increase in fuel economy?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Please watch this video about Aerodynamics specifically on the new F150. Engineers design these trucks the way they are for a reason. It's ridiculous to start taking things off because you think it looks "crappy". Why do you care what your truck looks like underneath? Nobody is going to see it.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool video. Good video explanation as well as to why tonnaeu covers don't increase fuel economy like vendors (used) to claim.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09f150guy
Have you noticed an increase in fuel economy?
I have taken mine off and haven't noticed a decrease in FE. Having it on would improve FE if anything.

The reason I took it off was because it dragged often when I'm offroad. I still have the shroud installed under the truck at the back of the motor/transmission. It hasn't been torn off yet so it can stay.

Quick Reply: couple questions for aftermarket stuff of the EB