Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Chevron with Techron

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chevron with Techron

Has anyone who has used this cleaner please post about your results?

I understand is the only approved cleaner for the ecoboost.

I'm wondering if actually does anything.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Some guy

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Dead horse. Use Google, search for this product and also research polyetheramine, the cleaner in it. It's well-known to do a great job in the right concentrations (along with not buying sh*tty fuel).
Old 01-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by elkymutt
Has anyone who has used this cleaner please post about your results?

I understand is the only approved cleaner for the ecoboost.

I'm wondering if actually does anything.
Chevron and Texaco already have this as an additive in their gasoline. If you can't find these gas stations auto parts stores have this in containers. Works great to keep injectors clean.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Some guy

BP, Shell, Sunoco... http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Dead horse. Use Google, search for this product and also research polyetheramine, the cleaner in it. It's well-known to do a great job in the right concentrations (along with not buying sh*tty fuel).
Right concentrations? What does that mean? One bottle?

Have you used it? Do you use it even though you are buying "top tier" gasoline?

I forgot to add that I'm in Canada and can't readily buy anything from "chevron". Apparently the substitute up here is a motomaster branded fuel system cleaner.

Since the chemical is already in the top tier fuel gasolines, do I even need it at all if I'm using mostly shell regular 87?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Some guy

I stick to BP and Shell gas with Sunoco and Chevron as third (either of the two interchangeably). I did research last year and remember reading BP had the highest concentration of PEA, Shell was second, and Sunoco / Shell were about even if I remember right, and I don't feel like digging up sources. I don't use any of those bottled cleaners now because I always get gas with PEA already in it, but in the off chance I've been using something like Wawa or 7-11 or some other cheap gas I'll go for Redline S1 if I can find it, or Techron if S1 isn't available, or Gumout With Regane if the first two aren't available. Get down to like a quarter or eighth of a tank, dump in the bottle, fill the tank up, done. Sometimes I'll do that two tanks in a row if I've been running dirty gas for a LONG time, though I'm sure that's probably overkill.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a bottle of the large concentrate approximately every 15k miles before an oil change. It works well.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tones
I use a bottle of the large concentrate approximately every 15k miles before an oil change. It works well.
Ok I'll bite. How do you know it works well?

No flame intented.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Smooths out idle, increases throttle response, overall smoother acceleration. Works best if you have multiple starts and stops for injector soak versus burning it up in one long trip.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct- this stuff works wonders on the injectors. I will throw a bottle of it in the tank every few thousand miles. I noticed a huge difference on the ecoboost engines as this definitely cleaned them out, quieted them down, and got some mpg out of it too. Great stuff.