Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Check your catch cans - are they full?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Default Check your catch cans - are they full?

I installed a catch can on my 5.0 last summer. Each time I check it, there is a small amount of oil in it. It's probably less than 1/4 ounce every 1000 miles. I was to the point of thinking, if after a couple more checks there was still so little in there, I might begin checking it every 2 or 3k miles.
I've been following the recent threads about adding cans to the EB engine, and that reminded me to check mine again since it's been 1000 miles since my last check. Yikes! I had over 2 ounces of slop in it this time. A little milky, no doubt due to some water. And there were globs or chunks of sludge on the bottom. Every time prior to this, the oil has been dark, translucent, and no clumps or sludge. Maybe the added water/steam cleaned some of the goo off the filter and that settled to the bottom of the can. Either way, I'm glad I have a can catching all that crap rather than my engine ingesting it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford850
I installed a catch can on my 5.0 last summer. Each time I check it, there is a small amount of oil in it. It's probably less than 1/4 ounce every 1000 miles. I was to the point of thinking, if after a couple more checks there was still so little in there, I might begin checking it every 2 or 3k miles.
I've been following the recent threads about adding cans to the EB engine, and that reminded me to check mine again since it's been 1000 miles since my last check. Yikes! I had over 2 ounces of slop in it this time. A little milky, no doubt due to some water. And there were globs or chunks of sludge on the bottom. Every time prior to this, the oil has been dark, translucent, and no clumps or sludge. Maybe the added water/steam cleaned some of the goo off the filter and that settled to the bottom of the can. Either way, I'm glad I have a can catching all that crap rather than my engine ingesting it.
Good post, more will accumulate in the colder months.

Quick Reply: Check your catch cans - are they full?