Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Break in Period for 2011 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Break in Period for 2011 Engines

According to the break-in periods for all models (I am getting the 5.0, just for reference) it seems you can't even take the vehicle above 55-60 mph, much less take a trip. I have 500 mile round trip "get-away" planned 4 days after my new truck is supposed to be delivered. Assuming the truck arrives in time, it seems that, according to the manual, driving 70 mph for 200 miles is discouraged.

I understand what the manual says, but I am looking for opinions.

Any thoughts!

Also, since the title is pretty vague and encompasses all the engines, if anyone else has questions about the break in period, don't hesitate to "jack the thread".
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

The most important thing to do during the break in period is vary speeds and gears on the truck. Some city, some highway, some light and moderate accelerations, etc. The bigest 'no-no' is to hop on a highway and set the cruise and drive for many hours. Variety is your friend.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ford850
The most important thing to do during the break in period is vary speeds and gears on the truck. Some city, some highway, some light and moderate accelerations, etc. The bigest 'no-no' is to hop on a highway and set the cruise and drive for many hours. Variety is your friend.
That is exactly what I was planning on doing! I could maybe put 100-200 miles on the truck in 4 days. I really want to take this truck, but it isnt looking good...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

If you will be driving many hours on the highway, at least vary the cruise speed. It will take you a few more minutes to get there but you will be better off in the long run to drive 55, 65, 75, rather than all 75. It's a truck, and you aren't going to kill it by just driving, but chances are you will have a better break in if you can vary the speed and load. Maybe take an alternate route, mid-trip, to get some other conditions mixed in. Like I said it might be worth it to add a little time to your trip.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Go Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you will be driving many hours on the highway, at least vary the cruise speed. It will take you a few more minutes to get there but you will be better off in the long run to drive 55, 65, 75, rather than all 75. It's a truck, and you aren't going to kill it by just driving, but chances are you will have a better break in if you can vary the speed and load. Maybe take an alternate route, mid-trip, to get some other conditions mixed in. Like I said it might be worth it to add a little time to your trip.
To add to this, take some back roads and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes the trip is almost as fun as what you do at the destination.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by GRWolverineFan
To add to this, take some back roads and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes the trip is almost as fun as what you do at the destination.
Good info! I will have the Nav in the truck so maybe I can test that out too! I am going down to Charleston and I take I-77 South to I-26 East..Not sure how many back roads I can take, but I can try that!

Thanks!!!

Anyone else with an opinion???
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

The proper break-in is to do a nice smokey burnout in the dealership parking lot, stay on the side roads and go full throttle in the truck every stop light.

If you don't hit the factory speed limiter at least 3 times on the way to your house, you are not driving the truck hard enough.

Your engine will make more power, better gas mileage, and live a longer life.

Yes I'm 100% serious.

Change the engine oil at around 500 miles. Change it again after another 1000.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 04-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
The proper break-in is to do a nice smokey burnout in the dealership parking lot, stay on the side roads and go full throttle in the truck every stop light.

If you don't hit the factory speed limiter at least 3 times on the way to your house, you are not driving the truck hard enough.

Your engine will make more power, better gas mileage, and live a longer life.

Yes I'm 100% serious.
Wow!!!!!! Ummmm ...... Not sure I have the ***** to do that, but your opinion is very much appreciated
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

depending on what forum you are on, this question can get very heated. i am glad to see that folks here arnt jumping all over each other.

Mostly the dividing line is folks that believe in following the manufactures guidelines of babying the engine and varying the speed for the first 1K miles or so.

The other side, is the drive like you stole it from day one. In the first 100 miles you should floor it to seat the rings and you will get longer engine life.

I believe in the latter. I have had 3 motorcycles, 4 different high performance cars and 3 trucks. All I have ripped it right when i got them. I never had any issues.

It is up to you on what you feel comfortable with.

This guy has a good write up on why you should hammer the engine in the beginning.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM

All the racers and engine builders have known about this "secret" since the 50's... This info is nothing new...

Quick Reply: Break in Period for 2011 Engines