Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

BOSS 302 Intake Manifold Without Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 AM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default BOSS 302 Intake Manifold Without Tune?

I would like to run a Boss 302 intake manifold, and a cold air intake, but I do not want to run a computer tune, mainly for warranty reasons. Has anyone done this swap and left the computer stock? Is this a bad idea? I know the gains would not be as great without a tune, and I have an XCAL3 from a previous vehicle, I am just nervous/on the fence about tuning, it really does seem to be a likely warranty voiding modification. Thoughts?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

You think the Boss intake isnt going to void your warrenty? The tune is alot easier to remove before bringing in the truck for warranty issue than the damn Boss intake.

Either way, it needs a tune!

As far as the X3 goes, if its unlocked you can get a file written for your truck and use that. If it isnt unlocked your looking at $150 to send it back to SCT to unlock it.

Wayne
Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 AM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Well, true...it's really highly likely that nothing gets done to the truck until the warranty is over, but who knows. Xcal is unlocked, just need to get a new tune written. As for setting it back to stock, dealer can still tell it's been modified in the past, unlike the way it was back in the day.

Originally Posted by Z7What
You think the Boss intake isnt going to void your warrenty? The tune is alot easier to remove before bringing in the truck for warranty issue than the damn Boss intake.

Either way, it needs a tune!

As far as the X3 goes, if its unlocked you can get a file written for your truck and use that. If it isnt unlocked your looking at $150 to send it back to SCT to unlock it.

Wayne
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Well, true...it's really highly likely that nothing gets done to the truck until the warranty is over, but who knows. Xcal is unlocked, just need to get a new tune written. As for setting it back to stock, dealer can still tell it's been modified in the past, unlike the way it was back in the day.
I know that they can tell that its was tuned. You just brought up warranty concerns with the tune but made it seam that you wouldnt have a issue with warrenty if the Boss intake was used.

I been tuned since my truck had 4K miles, im now at 11K with no issues.

Basically if you dont have a issue with installing the Boss intake, the tune should be the least of your worrys. That may read as if im being a smart *** but i dont mean to have it sound like that.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 10-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 175 Likes on 107 Posts

I have been tuned since my truck had 400 miles on it, and have not had any warranty issues. Most service departments don't care and won't take the time to dig deep enough to see if it has been tuned. So tune away.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM
FORD PARTS FANATIC

Originally Posted by Z7What
I know that they can tell that its was tuned. You just brought up warranty concerns with the tune but made it seam that you wouldnt have a issue with warrenty if the Boss intake was used.

I been tuned since my truck had 4K miles, im now at 11K with no issues.

Basically if you dont have a issue with installing the Boss intake, the tune should be the least of your worrys. That may read as if im being a smart *** but i dont mean to have it sound like that.

Wayne
Nah, you didn't come across as anything...I appreciate the help.

Now, is anyone actually done this? I found a kit that included a custom cold air intake, tune, and manifold, now I can't find it for some reason.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Nah, you didn't come across as anything...I appreciate the help.

Now, is anyone actually done this? I found a kit that included a custom cold air intake, tune, and manifold, now I can't find it for some reason.
I have seen those "kits" for mustangs but never for the F-150. I know that JLPRacing has built and tuned a few trucks with them. You might be able to contact them for more info. Unless there is a SV on this site that would put the package together for you.

Wayne

Quick Reply: BOSS 302 Intake Manifold Without Tune?