Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

block heater.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default block heater.

First off it came with my truck. I installed it a couple days ago and noticed the destructions Ford gave are redonkulous. The mounting stud provided has no hole to go into. They say to push it through the lower grill which there is no way it will fit.

I zip tied it so it is fine but just want to know if i am missing anything?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you don't mind me asking? What exactly does a block heater, heat? We didn't have these down south and I have been seriously considering if this is a good option to imrove fuel mileage on cold cranks of the Eco?

How involved is installation? Do you think it will pay for itself in fuel savings vs. idiling or just cold running to leave for work? I know I have bitched and complained a lot about my Ecoboost, but if this is a viable option, and worth its weight, I would like to install one?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

A block heater heats the oil in your engine when not in use. They are typically used where temperatures drop below freezing. When the oil is heated it is less viscous (thinner) which results in easier start up and less wear on engine components.

I can't speak to how easy it is to install because mine was a standard option. All I had to do was hook up the cable (which was a PIA due to the airdam in front). The weak instructions provided with the cable were not very helpful at all.

As far as decreasing the fuel consumption due to warm up time I guess it would but pretty negligible if at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got mine from autozone. It's magnetic $35 so easy to install
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

I am not really sure what the internal workings on mine are. When I plug it in I can hear what sounds like a pump running and feel oil flowing and heating through the lines.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wound up in ND after retiring from the AF. I just bought my previous truck in SC, so instead of the block heater that required installation into the water jacket, I used one of those heating pads that glues to the oil pan. The cord runs out the front of the truck. Truckers use them on fuel tanks also. It worked great.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly, there are 7 states that Ford (and most other automakers) consider "northern tier". Truck/cars that are slated to ship to those states come from the factory with a block heater installed.

The factory installed block heater takes the place of one of the freeze plugs in the engine block. (Freeze plugs are designed to "pop" out, should the engine coolant ever freeze/expand, and prevent the engine block from being cracked/broken)

There are several varieties of engine heaters..... a "block heater" is generally the type that replaces a freeze plug. There are also magnetic versions that are intended to "stick" to steel oil pans (not many of those being made any more), dipstick versions, and even versions that are installed in the radiator hose.

Unless you live in an area where sub zero temps are common, you won't gain anything by installing one. When they really shine are on those -30+ nights.

Last edited by EdCaffreyMS; 12-07-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

From what I have gathered, it is hit or miss that it ever really gets that cold up here in PA. Doesn't sound like I should worry about it, and spend that money on some mud flaps or something else LOL!!

LOL, coming from way south of the M&D line, one just assumes it is extremely cold "up north." From what I have seen in past, and in general, it seems that y'all living out there in Wisconsin, Minnesota, ND, SD, Montana, Wyoming seem to have uttlerly brutel winters in comparison to the Northeast? Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by cdvaight
A block heater heats the oil in your engine when not in use. They are typically used where temperatures drop below freezing. When the oil is heated it is less viscous (thinner) which results in easier start up and less wear on engine components.

I can't speak to how easy it is to install because mine was a standard option. All I had to do was hook up the cable (which was a PIA due to the airdam in front). The weak instructions provided with the cable were not very helpful at all.

As far as decreasing the fuel consumption due to warm up time I guess it would but pretty negligible if at all.
Actually, a block heater noticably helps mileage in cold weather. Trucks burn roughly double the fuel during the first 2 minutes in when started from stone cold vs pre-heated. Not sure how much of a difference this makes above -10C

Originally Posted by cdvaight
I am not really sure what the internal workings on mine are. When I plug it in I can hear what sounds like a pump running and feel oil flowing and heating through the lines.
It's just a resistive heating element, nothing more. The sounds you hear are thermal expansion, and convective movememt of coolant.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I used the block heater on my previous truck (F350). It don't really get that cold here, I just wanted instant heat when I cranked the truck up.

Quick Reply: block heater.