Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyway to get the latest and greatest stock Ford PCM tune other than dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyway to get the latest and greatest stock Ford PCM tune other than dealer?

Long story short, I feel as if my truck would benefit from the latest PCM code version. Strange shifts from time to time but not reproducible on demand so the dealership wont re-program. I'm still under warranty but instead of banging me head against the wall curious if there is a way to do it on my own?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Not unless you have a 'really close friend' who works at a dealer. I think all the stock trannies shift a little strange at times. Best bet is to buy a SCT tuner and try one of the canned tunes. They are a little better than stock IMO.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Lol. No. There's no way to do it.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joek03
Long story short, I feel as if my truck would benefit from the latest PCM code version. Strange shifts from time to time but not reproducible on demand so the dealership wont re-program. I'm still under warranty but instead of banging me head against the wall curious if there is a way to do it on my own?

Thanks in advance
Actually there is a way to do it

You need a J2534 Programming interface. Then you download the Ford Module Programming software, and pay $25 to get it for 3 days.

But of course you need to know when the latest calibrations have been released.

Or.. You could pick up a clone IDS/VCM for around $200 and just do it yourself just as the dealer would.

Cheers
-Matt
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zero and Bruce, thanks for the responses. I want to keep this thing stock through the powertrain warranty, have had bad experiences with canned tunes in the past. I was hoping that a guy might be able to take an SCT or something of the like and pull the latest calibration from a friend with a 14. Seems it will be a bit more complicated so I'll just work on the dealer a little more
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You may have shops in your area who own a VCM/IDS. They would be able to do the Calibration Updates just as the dealer would.

We are one of those shops in our area, we reflash and update calibrations regularly for many different customers. So yes it can be done somewhere other than the dealer.

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Ecoboost Performance Parts from the Pros!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Have you offered to pay your dealer to do it? I assume they don't want to do it as a warranty job. When my spark plugs started to fail, I just bought a set from Rock Auto, verified the gap, handed them to the dealer and paid for the labor. I assumed that with no codes, they wouldn't do it as warranty and I am not into beating my head against a wall.
You are going to have to pay another shop anyway if you can find one.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by joek03

Thanks in advance
I would keep pinging the dealer and tell them it's an issue you want resolved and if they refuse move it up the chain. Have you contacted the Service lady here?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Check with the dealer and give them your VIN, there may be a TSB attached to it already where they would update the PCM with the latest strategy for free...
Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

I had this done after the TSB with the IC condensation - and like a curse I now lost 1.9 mpg average per tank, wtf!?

I got 16.5-17 all the time, it only changed if I DIDNT drive the same road to work (which I always do) and now - same road, same fuel, same everything I get 14.5-15.8 and NEVER better over 4 tanks.

That's pissing me off pretty bad right now.

Last edited by iRub1Out; 06-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyway to get the latest and greatest stock Ford PCM tune other than dealer?