Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anything Ford Will Do About This?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Anything Ford Will Do About This?

I know rust in an inevitable problem, especially in northern climates, but this just seems a little quick to me. 40,000 miles, on the road for less than 20 months, two Winters. First Winter was not a bad Winter at all.

Would Ford be willing do do something about this?

If not, is there something I can do to prevent it spreading? I can only imagine what it will look like in another year, and kind of sucks to think I'll be driving a three year old rust bucket.

Is pulling off and repainting the only real option? Just a little disappointed I guess that I already have a decent sized patch of rust. I expected some small areas forming from rock chips, etc but didn't think the whole corner of the bumper would be rusty and peeling.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Thats why I hate painted bumpers. I was having the same problem just not to that extent and we don't have salt on the roads here. I bought some matching paint and blended it with truck bed coating, taped off everything but the front edge of the rear bumper and coated it. Did the same to the lower front of the rear fender flare, where the rock chips were getting excessive. It isn't perfect but is considerably better.

Ford unfortunately will not foot the bill on that. They wouldn't repaint/replace my paint peeling on the front dam below the grill. They blamed it on a rock chip even though it was the size of a quarter.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
I know rust in an inevitable problem, especially in northern climates, but this just seems a little quick to me. 40,000 miles, on the road for less than 20 months, two Winters. First Winter was not a bad Winter at all.

Would Ford be willing do do something about this?

If not, is there something I can do to prevent it spreading? I can only imagine what it will look like in another year, and kind of sucks to think I'll be driving a three year old rust bucket.

Is pulling off and repainting the only real option? Just a little disappointed I guess that I already have a decent sized patch of rust. I expected some small areas forming from rock chips, etc but didn't think the whole corner of the bumper would be rusty and peeling.

I had an earlier truck that had painted bumpers and every rock chip developed rust. All you can do is use touch up paint and if it gets bad enough, have it professionally repaired at a body shop.

I personally couldn't believe Ford used painted bumpers as most trucks have gone to a plastic cover (but it's weak and expensive if cracked from hitting animals on the road). Chrome is suppose to be the best.

My early 2000 SE Xterra had painted bumpers and ended up like yours. My later 2004 XE Titan Crew Cab truck has plastic covered bumpers but I was worried I would get them cracked by hitting a raccoon.

Since your's is peeling, I'd take it to a body shop and get it fixed immediately.

I would keep your bumpers heavily waxed and even a paint treatment to help seal the bumper when rock chips happen. It won't prevent all rust but it will help prevent some or slow it down so that you can use touch up paint.

Last edited by Mike Up; 04-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My clear bra guy covered that area when I had my bra done on day 2 of ownership.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

There is supposed to be clear bra there and the front edge of the box from the factory, but not nearly enough!
I always say the answer is "no" until you ask the question? But in your case I would say re-paint is your only option at this point. Then do a healthy amount of clear bra!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you have to fight them to get basic mechanical problems covered by the warranty, I doubt it. Lately I feel like I bought my f150 brand new with the old "as is" sticker in the window.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the look of painted bumpers but they you do get chips on the front from rocks and crap for sure. I plastidipped mine this past fall, looks great and holds up nicely.

Did you somehow chip the paint off? It doesn't look like it blistered from under the paint. Ford won't cover that, you need to sand and paint the area, you can get some touch up, it won't be noticeable.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Just gravel roads and road salt doing their thing.

Guess I'll just do what I can, probably ask the dealer about it but I don't expect them to do anything. Never know they know I've had tons of other issues.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Gravel roads and bumpers not protected by mud flaps dont mix....I know as well.
Painted or chromed,if you do a lot of gravel driving you are going to get beat up,and rusty.
I finally got smart and the mud flaps went on.
Taped off area on bumper,rocker guard a few coats,spray color matching paint a few coats...
It's a lot better than it was,cheap to do and not really that noticeable.
Mine were not near as bad as OPs tho.

Last edited by Bosro; 04-21-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Makes me glad I've got chrome bumpers. They have held up just fine to gravel, brush, deep sand, etc.

Never understood why put painted bumpers on a FX4. If someone really uses their truck offroad, those painted bumpers are going to get trashed.

Quick Reply: Anything Ford Will Do About This?