Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

To anyone who has had a short or long block replacement due to knocking or ticking

Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default To anyone who has had a short or long block replacement due to knocking or ticking

Ive seen many posts re replaced short blocks and long blocks due to the Knock or Ticking, Im wondering if anyone who has had this done has had the issue return yet. Also how happy are you with the reman engine or block? How many miles on the new one, how it sounds , performs ect.
Im curious if Ford has adjusted production of replacement blocks both short and long to fix the #3 and #4 cylinder distortion issue or if its going to be just a matter of time before the issue returns after the swap.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

i hav 500 miles on mine am it sounds like my buddies 14 good an quiet. i am happy thus far as i feel confodent in the work perf by my dealer. i feel it has a slight better pull in 3200-3500 rpm but havent taken to red line yet..let things resettle..my paper wprk said cyl #6 which i havent heard of as pf yet. ill scan my docs in tomoro at wrk an post

not sure mines a reman but i want to know if i get x tend warr against engine fpr deler work past 3\36 as thats in july an ill hav 30 k by then 5.5k on new engine
The following users liked this post:
Stech (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Stech
Ive seen many posts re replaced short blocks and long blocks due to the Knock or Ticking, Im wondering if anyone who has had this done has had the issue return yet. Also how happy are you with the reman engine or block? How many miles on the new one, how it sounds , performs ect.
Im curious if Ford has adjusted production of replacement blocks both short and long to fix the #3 and #4 cylinder distortion issue or if its going to be just a matter of time before the issue returns after the swap.
I had heard that Ford made changes to the coyote block in 2014, but even the service director at one of San Diego's largest dealers could not confirm that changes were made. So today I visited that dealership and asked the sales manager if I could start up two new 2015 5.0's, and make a video recording thru the right hand wheel well. The first one knocked for about 15 seconds and settled down to a noisy idle. The second one did not knock on the initial startup and was just a little quieter at idle. Both trucks were cold with less than 10 miles on the speedo. Both trucks were Kansas City trucks built in March, but that doesn't really matter on the engine anyway. I need to get the videos off my phone and onto my desktop computer, and then upload to YouTube.
In answer to your question; if a short or long block is installed, and the block has not been updated, then it's possible that cylinder distortion issues could cause another knock. See what Ford SVT performance has done to fix the cylinder distortion problem. Here's a link in that article: http://www.svtperformance.com/?p=3111

Last edited by Combat vet; 04-19-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add link
The following 2 users liked this post by Combat vet:
Koolponycar (04-22-2015), Stech (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

here it is. ill add to other 5'er threads as well

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To anyone who has had a short or long block replacement due to knocking or ticking