Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?

I'm not looking to change out my exhaust just yet but was wondering how quiet the exhaust on my 5.0 will be if I kept the muffler and went with a 50 series muffler? My goal when I change out my exhaust is to change the sound with out adding much volume. I do a lot of long trips, put almost 25k on my truck in under 1 years time.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM
F150 Forum

Received 350 Likes on 285 Posts

A few people on this site have.. they said it makes litt;e to no difference on volume.. or sound for that matter
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced my muffler with a straight pipe but kept the resonator. I doubt this is the route you want to go since its loud! I would keep the resonator on your truck since you drive long trips and the resonator's job is cut down on the drone at cruising RPM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow muffler, 14419. I like how it sounds.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM

I have been looking at hours of youtube clips trying to figure out what I want to do. I've decided so far to replace the resonator and piping between the cat and muffler with a 3" resonator/piping then adding a 50 series Flowmaster. I think the slightly bigger diameter will help a tad bit with performance in addition to the muffler.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You'll need long tubes, full exhaust, and a tune to get performance from an exhaust system. Cat back will add only sound but that's what most want, nothing wrong with that. so if your shopping for a catback get what you think sounds the best, and bigger is not always better in diameter.

That's what he said not what she said.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hardhat
You'll need long tubes, full exhaust, and a tune to get performance from an exhaust system. Cat back will add only sound but that's what most want, nothing wrong with that. so if your shopping for a catback get what you think sounds the best, and bigger is not always better in diameter.

That's what he said not what she said.
Yeah, thats why I was just looking to make the whole thing the same diameter. I have an intake and tune so far but really would like to put the Boss IM on down the road.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
F150 Forum

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Corsa Performance Exhaust (14392)

Here are some pics of the Corsa Performance exhaust on my 2013 FX4 EcoBoost.

Very nicely made...all stainless steel. Purchased through AutoAnything at substantial discount.

Sound clips on Corsa Performance website are pretty accurate. Quiet in the cab...but when you get on it......sounds good.

They claim no drone in the cab...and they are right.

Corsa also offers a version of the same exhaust in their DB line....slightly deeper tone, still all stainless steel...but different allot used in some parts.

Northlight
Attached Thumbnails Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?-img_3409.jpg   Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?-img_3410.jpg   Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?-img_3408.jpg   Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?-img_3413.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Nice, this is another route I need to research. I noticed that this system uses the stock resonator. I think if I got this exhaust I would get a 3" resonator and piping and replace the stock one though I wish they would just sell the muffler.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/dynoma...116709/index5/

Check out the thread from the above link. I have since removed the resonsator. With the resonator, the sound was almost like stock during normal driving but a little louder under heavier acceleration. I like the souind better without the resonator. Haven't towed yet without the resonator. I imagine it'd be pretty loud.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace their muffler but keep the resonator?