Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyone put a CAI on a 3.7l yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Anyone put a CAI on a 3.7l yet?

I'm looking into buying a CAI for my 3.7L to improve the sound and low end torque. I know they don't do much for fuel economy but that doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't hurt it. I've herd some people get the roush intakes, but I think they are a little pricey. Also, has anyone installed a full new intake system rather than just a new filter and box? Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roconnor2012
Also, has anyone installed a full new intake system rather than just a new filter and box? Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
Most systems reuse portion of the stock airbox just so you know
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the airaid quickfit on my 3.7 for awhile. Ended up taking it off bc it tended to drone a bit when you're just cruising. That being said: good product and did make a difference in the throttle response, no question. Sounded sweet when you get on it too
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 268 Likes on 198 Posts

as mentioned, the majority of CAI's on the market reuse the lower half of the stock airbox, the part that snorkels the air from the fender. its really a good setup stock so no need to improve upon it.
the Roush appears to work on all the engines, you mentioned it seems pricey, but it is a complete kit. airbox upper 1/2 with cone filter as well as tube from air box to throttle body. its really a nice kit. I have no experience with the 3.7, but on my 5.0 it adds a good bit of growl to the engine, even with stock exhaust it a whole different sound. didnt really notice any mpg gains, might have even lost 1 mpg on avg. hard to tell.
unfortunately the truth is, on an otherwise stock truck, I dont think a CAI will really gain you anything performance wise. the stock setup really is THAT good. I actually ditched the Roush & swapped back to the stock setup and tossed in a K&N drop in filter. I am pretty sure I lost mpg (vs. stock) with the roush. with the K&N in the stock airbox I have gained a full mpg over stock. I do really miss the sound the CAI adds though and since I can never leave things alone I will probably through it back on once the weather warms up.

also once I get my custom tunes done, they will also determine whether my truck retains a stock air intake or the roush CAI. the tune is what will make the difference
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you for the responses. I've herd about the drone at certain speeds and I think I can deal with that. What's a reasonable price to pay for a roush or K&N intake?

Quick Reply: Anyone put a CAI on a 3.7l yet?