Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Android Torque App GAUGE PACKAGE review on Ecoboost FX4 **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Android Torque App GAUGE PACKAGE review on Ecoboost FX4 **PICS**

Ok.. so i havent been able to find a good review on this product and i must say that since i got mine up and running (today) I am absolutely thrilled with this product and its capabilities.

I wish there was a review like this when i was looking so i figured id post one up. Im an iPhone user so my inital buy in cost was greater (much greater) than those of you who are already Android users.

Unfortunately there is nothing like this available for iPhone at even close to the cost. A non jailbroken iPhone will not operate a system like this via Bluetooth. It will only do it via wifi and wifi adapters are VERY expensive and from what ive heard.. slow.

What is required to get this going is:

-Android powered phone or tablet: free-$199. I chose the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0--perfect size and is an awesome unit.
-Torque software (app) for above android unit: $5. This is the actual program that will display your gauge package.
-ELM327 Bluetooth adapter: $25. This transmits the info from your trucks ECU to your android device.

With the Torque app you have the ability to set up 7 different screens to your preference. Below are a couple screen shots of what i have set up on mine.

Now obviously many of you have been using this for months if not years now but coming from OBD1 turbo cars, this crap is amazing to me... plus it saved me a ton on custom gauges.

Unit installed in truck:

A few of my screens ive set up other than whats above:

The program really has so much to offer i could write several pages worth and still not cover it all.

Here are some of the options/abilites of the program i think are great:

-ability to change your gauges style--digital, sweeping needle, graph style, etc etc
-data logging that can be emailed to you to analyze and see where changes need to be made (tuning)
-7 screens that you can adjust to your liking
-program reads at least 20 parameters that i counted in factory form. With a little HEX editing you can make it read/do more.
-measures performance as well like 0-60, quarter mile, horespower.
-Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) monitoring and clearing

Last edited by gimmie11s; 07-11-2012 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gimmie11s:
amascio (12-04-2012), sholland96 (09-05-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 AM

Now.. some observations ive made about the factory tune and overall what's going on with the Ecoboost in the F150.

My truck is 100% factory stock so none of the values i post below are "tuned" or altered values. They are exactly how an F150 Ecoboost comes from the Ford lot.

1. Max boost ive logged is about 16 psi. However, you wont get that much boost in every gear. Ive only seen 16 psi in 3rd and 4th gear. I have only been able to see about 13 psi max in 2nd gear.

2. The timing advance on this truck is SSSOOOOOO conservative its stunning! There are times when im going WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear and im only seeing 5* of total timing advance. I actually NEVER saw total advance go over 9* on ANY WOT pull. That is crazy.

3. Fuel pressure idling is around 200 psi! Under a WOT pull ive logged 2000 psi fuel pressure.

4. Air fuel ratio is not as conservative as i thought it may/should be but this must be due to the dismal timing map and direct injection.

5. Throttle position never hits 100% but it shows about 14% idling with my foot off the pedal.

This truck is a tuners dream. With good gas and cool weather there is no reason you shouldnt be able to run 15* (or slightly more) of timing which would make this truck feel like a completely different animal... completely.... especially at low boost (under 20).

These are just some observations and i just got this up and running. Ill post more as i play and learn.

There really is not much info like this out there for the Eco so ill do what i can to keep this thread updated with any pertinent info.

Last edited by gimmie11s; 07-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by gimmie11s:
chayes627 (06-24-2013), CobraO (07-12-2012), Hunger4TQ (12-06-2012), mrpositraction (07-12-2012), SICKQK (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Awesome review!
Do you still have your iPhone? I thought about getting an Android unit as well for this but without a data or phone plan. I wanted to use the iPhone's Wifi Hotspot to sync up with it instead. Do you know if the Samsung will connect up?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just set this up with my EVO4g it is awesome you don't have to install gauges to see what's going on
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Very nice. Any link to the adaptor you bought? Typing it into amazon and there are about 50 different designs out there from about $15-60.. I have a samsung galaxy S I don't use that would be perfect for this..
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
Awesome review!
Do you still have your iPhone? I thought about getting an Android unit as well for this but without a data or phone plan. I wanted to use the iPhone's Wifi Hotspot to sync up with it instead. Do you know if the Samsung will connect up?
Yes i still use my iPhone. I bought the Samsung Galaxy Player which is basically an Android ipad or ipod touch. It was $199 and does not come with any "plan" or "service." Obviously it is WiFI compatible and will link up to anyone's service you have access to.

You cannot link to iPhone's service unless your phone is jailbroken--mine is not which is why i went down this path to begin with. That is not to say the Samsung would not hook up to my iPhone's service because it would... however the iPhone will not allow it unless its jailbroken.

Originally Posted by Rob1334
Very nice. Any link to the adaptor you bought? Typing it into amazon and there are about 50 different designs out there from about $15-60.. I have a samsung galaxy S I don't use that would be perfect for this..
Here is the exact one i bought. I had it shipped next day air because im an impatient SOB and total price was like $45 including shipping.

If you are a little less impatient than I, you can opt for the free 2 day shipping and have the thing for $25 out the door.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by gimmie11s; 07-11-2012 at 10:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gimmie11s:
57hippie (07-11-2012), MadocHandyman (07-11-2012), Rob1334 (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Will this show A/F on the 5.0?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I've had this for a few months and LOVE it! The base that I attach my phone to actually has a charging port on it and I have that wired to the USB2 port in the dash so that I can very quickly and easily remove and replace the phone and anytime it is in the cradle, it is charging. I also set up this gauge display and blue gauges to try and closely match the stock gauges.

For those that don't know though, the battery gets DRAINED in a hurry if you aren't charging it while you use it

Name:  IMG_0681.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  76.1 KB
Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get the ODBII adapter for my truck?

Has anyone had issues with bluetooth and your Android phone and SYNC? (I have a Razor MAX)

Guess my question is, If I'm running this device and I get a phone call, will the phone call connect thru SYNC?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
Will this show A/F on the 5.0?
Yes.

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
I've had this for a few months and LOVE it! The base that I attach my phone to actually has a charging port on it and I have that wired to the USB2 port in the dash so that I can very quickly and easily remove and replace the phone and anytime it is in the cradle, it is charging. I also set up this gauge display and blue gauges to try and closely match the stock gauges.
Love the blue! Im gonna try that.

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Does anyone know where I can get the ODBII adapter for my truck?
Check my last post............ i pasted a link to the unit i bought on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Android Torque App GAUGE PACKAGE review on Ecoboost FX4 **PICS**