Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Aftermarket Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air Filter?

When it's time for me to replace my air filter is worth getting a new dry flow drop in filter or just get a new stock filter? If so what does everybody recommend on the aftermarkets?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueFX421903
When it's time for me to replace my air filter is worth getting a new dry flow drop in filter or just get a new stock filter? If so what does everybody recommend on the aftermarkets?

Thanks

I put a K & N million mile filter in my 2012 screw. I like those.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced mine with an Airaid 861-397 Direct Replacement Premium Dry Air Filter and I like it.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at a Ford dealer and have seen quite a few dusted engines due to aftermarket air cleaners. Keep in mind Ford designed the factory air box and filtration system to do the job. The advantage of an higher flowing air filter is just that... It flows more air. With the larger pores to flow more air it also can flow more dust. In the NW where I live the pickups are used in fields and in the woods where there is dust....

The problem lies in how the air filter stops the dust. Your factory filter stops the dust. With the K&N the oil stops the dust. The K&N is only as good as your maintenance with your filter. Where I live they just aren't a good idea. Where you live and how you use your pickup may be different.

I would suggest going with AEM dryflow in the factory box for a upgrade if I had to pick one. If dust isn't an issue where you live then AEM also makes a Brute Force cone filter that a few of our customers really like.
The following users liked this post:
AllF150 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What engine is in your truck? If its the EB, I'd say go with a full aftermarket intake as the factory snorkle set up is pretty terrible at directing air flow smoothly. If it's one of the other's, I'd say just go with a drop in filter.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Just here for the MPG's

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 509-FORD
I work at a Ford dealer and have seen quite a few dusted engines due to aftermarket air cleaners. Keep in mind Ford designed the factory air box and filtration system to do the job. The advantage of an higher flowing air filter is just that... It flows more air. With the larger pores to flow more air it also can flow more dust. In the NW where I live the pickups are used in fields and in the woods where there is dust....

The problem lies in how the air filter stops the dust. Your factory filter stops the dust. With the K&N the oil stops the dust. The K&N is only as good as your maintenance with your filter. Where I live they just aren't a good idea. Where you live and how you use your pickup may be different.

I would suggest going with AEM dryflow in the factory box for a upgrade if I had to pick one. If dust isn't an issue where you live then AEM also makes a Brute Force cone filter that a few of our customers really like.
Couldnt have said it any better myself! Just dropped the AEM dryflow in mine and i like it. Bought it from the AEM website and it was at my door 24 hours later. Also note that Full Race is currently running an AEM drop in filter in their Freak-o-boost.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Eco-BEAST 28
Couldnt have said it any better myself! Just dropped the AEM dryflow in mine and i like it. Bought it from the AEM website and it was at my door 24 hours later. Also note that Full Race is currently running an AEM drop in filter in their Freak-o-boost.
Did you notice any difference at all with the dry filter?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Just here for the MPG's

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RockhoundF150
Did you notice any difference at all with the dry filter?
Honestly...... Nope lol I wasnt expecting to either so i havent tried to make myself notice a difference like some people might. I went back and forth for almost 2 months on doing a CAI for the truck and its just not the option for me. This filter has been tested and proven on one of the best built eco-boost trucks around and i truly believe what Ford gave us for a box was perfect, just needed a little bit better filter. This filter is a very affordable mod that im very happy with.

Last edited by Eco-BEAST 28; 12-07-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the reply's. I'm going to with the drop in AEM filter.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Not trying to pick a fight I'm just curious....

I got a K&N CAI on my 5.0, not that "feel" is accurate but I do notice better throttle response. My main question though, when I put on my CAI the engine/exhaust got WAY louder. If the airflow stayed the same, what would cause the change in engine/exhaust noise?

PS it's good noise, the engine sounds like a beast

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Filter?