Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

AFE Stage 2 intake OR Turbosmart BOV's, help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default AFE Stage 2 intake OR Turbosmart BOV's, help me decide!

I am having trouble deciding on which of the above items to buy first. Please help me decide! Anyone have any pros or cons on either if the items? I currently have a AEM drop in replacement filter in my stock intake and a 4" Solo performance system with the Mach-46 muffler.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:20 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Personally I would do BOV first. Prob one of the favorite mods I've done to my truck.
The following users liked this post:
Mudweiser (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As long as you don't run in dusty conditions, I'd go for the BOV's. My AEM dryflow held up fine until I found some dust. And who doesn't want to hear BOV's on a truck?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Bojangles
As long as you don't run in dusty conditions, I'd go for the BOV's. My AEM dryflow held up fine until I found some dust. And who doesn't want to hear BOV's on a truck?
I live in southern West Virginia and it feels like it has rained all summer. Can't wait to see what kind of weather we get this winter. We live about an hour south of snowshoe ski resort. Are the BOV's really noticeable?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I hear ya man. I live in NC and drive through WV twice every month. It's like walking through a waterfall every time I leave my house or car!

And yes, they are noticeable. I vented my stock ones to atmosphere on my '12 and they sounded nice. I'm sure a nice quality set will sound better. I haven't heard them personally, though.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM

I still haven't made up my mind. Now I've moved on to being stuck between the Banks intake and the BOV's. Anyone heard anything about the Banks intake?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

I think its been pretty well researched that CAI's are a waste on the EB, especially for what they cost.

Personally id save up for some downpipes over the BOV's. But, if its only between the 2, id go BOV.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by BucketMan
I think its been pretty well researched that CAI's are a waste on the EB, especially for what they cost. Personally id save up for some downpipes over the BOV's. But, if its only between the 2, id go BOV.
I may do just that and save for the Solo Performance catted downpipes. Stage 3 Motorsport's website says the downpipe requires a custom tune. But I have an email from Solo that says it's not required that 80% of the time it will not cause the CEL to come on.

I have viewed a couple of video clips on YouTube of the BOV's and I'm just not sure if I want that sound. I'm looking for more performance than noise!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudweiser

I may do just that and save for the Solo Performance catted downpipes. Stage 3 Motorsport's website says the downpipe requires a custom tune. But I have an email from Solo that says it's not required that 80% of the time it will not cause the CEL to come on.

I have viewed a couple of video clips on YouTube of the BOV's and I'm just not sure if I want that sound. I'm looking for more performance than noise!
Well the DP's will increase noise as well, but with added performance. The noise is more turbo whistle more than anything, which Is what I'm after. Just letting you know that there is a "noise" difference. IMO aftermarket DP's with the stock exhaust actually sounds pretty good!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BucketMan
Well the DP's will increase noise as well, but with added performance. The noise is more turbo whistle more than anything, which Is what I'm after. Just letting you know that there is a "noise" difference. IMO aftermarket DP's with the stock exhaust actually sounds pretty good!
I already have the Solo 4" system with the Mach-46 muffler and absolutely love it! Deep and awesome sound, to me it sounds nothing like a V6.

Quick Reply: AFE Stage 2 intake OR Turbosmart BOV's, help me decide!