Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Afe Stage 2 Intake Concerns

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Afe Stage 2 Intake Concerns

Alright so I have done lots of searching around on the forums and I have read that this intake runs best with a custom tune. Now I bought it from a dealer here that has run it on his truck 2012 5.0L for a year now with zero issues. My concern is without the tune is it going to lean the truck out and cause a lose in power, or will after 50 km the computer will adjust for the air flow and work just fine? I know with a tune it will run a lot better as does anything with a custom tune it seems like.

Truck has 4000km on it so thats why I'm leaning towards waiting for a tune as the warrenty is still fresh. Really just wanna know if running this intake system will have any ill effects on performance without the tune. I'm hopeing for a bit better throttle response as well with it. Gas mileage is going to be small at best I know that. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

It'll be fine. The gain in airflow is very small and the computer will compensate for it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Yah the more airflow isn't enough too cause the stock computer too run lean hey? Just don't wanna put this on my truck and have it hurt the performance at all.

Anyone actually running this intake without a custom tune right now in the 2013 5.0?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

No. It's designed to work with a stock truck and no tune.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Awesome just what I wanted to hear. Installing it tonight so ill let u know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't worry about it. I had my 5.0 dyno tuned after installing the Boss intake manifold but before I installed the aFe intake. We datalogged and compared fuel trim from before and after and the CAI made very little difference.
As long as the motor is running closed loop, it should be able to adjust to any change in airflow instantaneously (within limits of the injectors to keep up). It's only when it goes open loop at WOT that there's a potential problem, but we found the stock fuel maps are quite conservative and resulted in a rich mixture (about 12:1) so that should be safe too.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM

So only at WOT could I have any issues then? I'm not too sure what all that means lol sorry. Thanks for the info though.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Insolent Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

It means you'll be fine. Intake will not add enough air to make the engine run lean by itself. If you had headers and exhaust in conjunction with the intake I would get it dyno tuned.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 PM

I do have a magnaflow cat back exhaust though on the truck. Will that change anything?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOT = Wide Open Throttle.

Most of the time the engine runs with a feedback loop - air sensor in the intake measures the mass of incoming air, computer calculates how much fuel to add, O2 sensors in the exhaust check if the mixture was too rich or lean, and the result is used to modify fuel metering (fuel trim) - closed loop.

But at WOT the computer switches over to a look-up table (aka fuel maps) to figure out how much fuel is needed based on how much air it thinks is entering, no feedback. So if the air sensor isn't reading accurately (because the intake diameter is bigger, for instance) the mixture could go lean, which would be bad. Very bad...

Fortunately, it turns out that the air flow with a CAI isn't that different from stock. Well within the range that closed loop feedback can compensate for. And when in open loop, the default fuel metering is quite generous, so again little chance of going lean.
You might still want a tune in order to get the best efficiency and power out of a CAI, but there's little chance of disaster from just a CAI without a tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Afe Stage 2 Intake Concerns