Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

6yr/100K warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 6yr/100K warranty

Well it just arrived! I order the 5* tuner with the 100k warranty. I have talked to several members on here and was really leaning towards the SSI tunes, however the warranty is what sealed the deal for me, at least for now. I drive this truck every single day for work and need to make sure I have it or can get it fixed with minimal out of pocket expenses for right now. I am going to put this thing on my dyno this afternoon and get some before and after numbers. My truck is a 2014 fx4 bone stock truck, still has the ford dealership mud flaps on it. I went with the 87 tow/perf, 87 econ and 91 performance. Most of my driving will more than likely be on the 87 tow/perf however. I just got the other 2 because I had to get 3 tunes. This came at the perfect time as I am getting ready to drive my truck 3K miles round trip to see family out east. I took this trip almost exactly a year ago and averaged right around 15.5 mpg. I am going to run the economy tune the entire trip and see what happens with that. I will report back this evening with dyno numbers once I am done. Looking forward to seeing and feeling the difference a tune can make on these trucks!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

You will love the drivability of the perf/tow tunes.

Someday I would like to dyno mine, someday.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The 87 econ is a huge turd. I got it as well and was sorely disappointed. I'm not the only one either. The performance/tow tunes rock.

Before I lifted my truck and bigger tires I got 25 mpg hwy using the 91 p/t from them, about 22 mixed city/hwy.

You won't be disappointed otherwise.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:57 PM

I know the economy wont dyno well, I not even gonna waste my time. I just want it for the added mileage if I wanted all out power I would have kept my 850rwhp cummins lol. I didn't get to dyno today as it was raining so I am going to have to do it tomorrow. The drivability is way better than stock, this is how it should have drove from the beginning. I don't know what I was thinking tho time will tell if I am right but I think I threw away 1000 bucks on the warranty. I don't see how this tune could actually hurt the truck and since I have 25K on it I would guess nothing is wrong now with the motor anyway. Oh well its good piece of mind
Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by osris
I know the economy wont dyno well, I not even gonna waste my time. I just want it for the added mileage
Yeah well there's the rub, I got better economy on the performance tune and so does everyone else.

Then again if I was concerned about economy, I wouldn't have bought a truck.
The following users liked this post:
GotHonks? (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 PM

I guess I should clarify I have the Ecoboost so if the econo tune does what they say it will as far as keeping the turbos out of boost it will probably do pretty good for mileage.ime I said I have a 3k mile trip and will have plenty of time to see what works best. I drive 30k a year so I will know in a cpl weeks which one gives me the best mileage
Old 05-07-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by osris
I guess I should clarify I have the Ecoboost so if the econo tune does what they say it will as far as keeping the turbos out of boost it will probably do pretty good for mileage.ime I said I have a 3k mile trip and will have plenty of time to see what works best. I drive 30k a year so I will know in a cpl weeks which one gives me the best mileage
I think your confused about how your engine makes power. You can't keep the turbo's out of the boost because that is what's making the boost.

If you don't tow anything and keep your hwy speed down around 60-70, you might (spoken loosely) get decent economy. You can't force air into the engine without also feeding it the fuel to mix for combustion.

Last edited by RLXXI; 05-07-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 PM

I have found my perf/tow tune to get the same mileage as my economy tune. That is based on a constant speed on the highway. In town I don't really pay attention as I enjoy the drivability and power more than worrying about fuel.

But you are right, I can't see these tunes doing any damage. I bought the warranty for piece of mind.

Last edited by vozaday; 05-07-2015 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GotHonks? (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I think your confused about how your engine makes power. You can't keep the turbo's out of the boost because that is what's making the boost.

If you don't tow anything and keep your hwy speed down around 60-70, you might (spoken loosely) get decent economy. You can't force air into the engine without also feeding it the fuel to mix for combustion.

That's the thing about this forum, well any forum, there ALWAYS has to be someone that knows more than anyone else and has to argue everything. I understand how my motor makes power. I guess 5 star is confused as well since I took what I said off of their website where it talks about their economy tune and what it does and how it works.

"We have developed an economy map/tune that truly is Eco-Boost technology (small displacement with V8 power) that keeps truck in vacuum with little to no boost while in town/traffic and while on highway also has reduced boost."

That is from 5* so sorry I was wrong I said out of boost and they said reduced boost, I was getting at the same thing. Maybe the econo tune is pointless to have, I stated above I ordered 3 tunes because that was the lowest amount I could order. With as much driving as I do I feel like I can run some pretty good tests for people looking to get better mileage out of their trucks.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 PM

It depends. They can keep it out of boost by manipulating the waste gates or in the 13/14 by the ebov. So I can see how that would work.

Anyways, keep us updated on your findings. Curious what the performance tune will crank out.

Quick Reply: 6yr/100K warranty