Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

6.2 500hp goal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 6.2 500hp goal

I'm picking up my new FX4 6.2 any day now and my goal is to break 500 hp without a supercharger or turbo. Obviously I'll start with a tuner, exhaust, intake, all the simple stuff that should bring me up to about 450 or so. So any advice on mods to gain the extra 50hp, and any preventative measures I should take for the drive line to handle the extra power?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Long tube headers, cams, exhaust, intake, and tune.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You know what I don't have a clue what to do with the 6.2 Ford motor, it being only in the Truck I doubt there is that much aftermarket for it. I know with Chevy motors and with the 5.0 you have all the go fast parts from the cars you can use.

I know with the 6.2 Chevy motor it isn't that hard to get 500 out of it, hopefully the heads on the Ford motor are pretty good. If they flow good, a cam plus bolt on's should get you there.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Livernois has What looks like a pretty complete cam kit. Whatever works for the raptor 6.2 should work for you.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would take the time to pull some budget numbers together because by the time you do a cam and other supporting mods youll hurt your bottom end to make more power on top and you will probably spend as much on those for what you would spend on a supercharger. Also with the roush set up you can maintain warranty and have power throughout the powerband. Once you start looking through Livernois's parts and see the $$$ you'll spend the supercharger will be looking pretty good.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisdom
I'm picking up my new FX4 6.2 any day now and my goal is to break 500 hp without a supercharger or turbo. Obviously I'll start with a tuner, exhaust, intake, all the simple stuff that should bring me up to about 450 or so. So any advice on mods to gain the extra 50hp, and any preventative measures I should take for the drive line to handle the extra power?
It's an easy goal but an expensive one. The F150 6.2 will get right at 475/490 at the crank with headers/mid/cat back (with cats) and a solid tune.

The heads flow very well and 'would' support a healthy cam but the pistons will hit the valves. Livernois has a mild cam option that picks up some power but won't require replacing the pistons. - these net right at 500, maybe a tad more at the crank with a full exhaust and a tune. ~550 if you get the heads/cams package that comes with ported heads.

The XT/R cams from Ford Racing won't fit without changing the pistons. - they are supposed to put you well north of 550 at the crank with headers, exhaust and a tune, more with ported heads.

The 6.6 stroker with ported heads and upgraded cams will net north of 650 at the crank.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by reward69
I would take the time to pull some budget numbers together because by the time you do a cam and other supporting mods youll hurt your bottom end to make more power on top and you will probably spend as much on those for what you would spend on a supercharger. Also with the roush set up you can maintain warranty and have power throughout the powerband. Once you start looking through Livernois's parts and see the $$$ you'll spend the supercharger will be looking pretty good.
The 6.2 makes great bottom end power from the factory and it only gets better with mods. I'm right at 475/490 and it is instant on, instant off.

You are right, you will double the cost of a supercharger to get the same numbers N/A but it will be much more reliable. The pistons in the 6.2 are cast, not even Hyper. They do not like boost.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

I got quoted by a local custom shop for about 14 grand to supercharge it with a tune and exhaust it gets close to 18. I'm looking to stay under 5 grand if I can and not sacrifice day to day reliability. It will be my daily driver.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wisdom
I got quoted by a local custom shop for about 14 grand to supercharge it with a tune and exhaust it gets close to 18. I'm looking to stay under 5 grand if I can and not sacrifice day to day reliability. It will be my daily driver.
Full exhaust (long tube headers -> mid pipe with cats -> cat back) and a tune for sub 4k price point.

It DOES NOT cost 14k to install a supercharger though so I wouldn't go back to that particular shop.

The price of a Whipple is just over 7k, a ProCharger is just over 5k. The top mount style literally just replaces the intake. Installation labor should be less than $1,200 including tuning it. We are talking about something you can do in your driveway with hand tools...

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/201...rchargers.html

you can have a fully forged stroker from Livernois for 18k, that place is trying to rip you off.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM

I have 0 experience with superchargers and I plan to do some decent towing with the truck, So that was my reason to shy away from it. I'm just looking for a solid 90hp increase over stock without going too crazy into the motor and maybe keeping factory warrentry on the motor if possible.

Quick Reply: 6.2 500hp goal