Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 K&N Intake review and gas mileage check

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 K&N Intake review and gas mileage check

Truck info:
2011 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with offroad package, 3.73, 5.0

I bought my truck and had 136 miles on it when we decided to take it home for Christmas. i ordered the K&N intake and had it shipped to the families house for the drive home. The drive is just over 1000 miles from Las Vegas to Eugene, OR. I was driving about 70-75mph. We drove down I-15 to 58 to 99 to I-5.

I got a bit of open stretch on the 99 Northbound between bakersfield and Chowchilla (where we stayed). I checked the elevation using the Sirius "Where am I" and it was pretty flat, weather said no wind. At 75 mph for 20 miles on cruise control i was getting 16.7 per screen readout. At 70 mph i was getting 17.6 for the next 20 miles. All same direction, same road.

The next day Between Chowchill, CA and Sacramento there was a head wind on the way up and i noticed about 15.1 mpg for at least 150 miles. Drafting would get that up in the 16s.

The drive up was just over 1000 miles total and the end overall result was 17.8 mpg averaging 70-75mph. For those that don't know there are a few passes to go over including the Siskiyou mountains at about 4000ft. I noticed that the truck seems to do VERY WELL over the mountains. Cruises right up the hills, then gets great mileage heading down.

I got the K&N Intake and put it on right away. I first noticed one of the breather tubes from the driver's side valve cover was forced to bend weird to hook up. Not a hard fix, but expected more. Test drive produced some noises and rattles. since this intake, like others, uses the factory intake bottom and the factory clips were part of the noise. I fixed that and tightened the hose clamps. Next test drive was to town, about 18 miles and i noticed a good intake "honk" or wa-wa noise. It's kind of like the noise from the air you get when you just have a back window rolled down. (best description i got)

After reading some i found out about the intake Snorkel. i took this off and went for another test drive. This sounded better, but on the next quick drive still noticed intake "honk." I decided to leave the intake on to test the MPG and if the sound would be an issue up the mountain pass. Well, it was. My fiance HATED it, and at times i had to change throttle position to make the "honk" go away. There was some good sounds in there, but at the 1800-2300 range if you go up very steep hill or accelerate you will get the intake "Honk."

For the drive home the wind was pretty mild, and traffic made it hard to average quite as high of a speed. The last part of the trip (about 150 miles) was 60-75 mph, along with about 10 miles of crawling along at 5 mph. This last part produced 19.2 mpg. This also was up and down some hills.

The end MPG for this trip home with the K&N Intake on was 18.2. I got 17.8 on the way up. I think the intake made no difference overall. The headwind i had on the way up easily accounts for the worse mileage, and the slower speads on the way back accounts for even more.

Pros:
Looks better then stock
Good sounds are good
easy install
$250 (ebay)

Cons:
intake "Honk"
no increase in MPG
intake "Honk"
breather tube forced to bend
intake "Honk"
and the
intake "Honk"

I am going to try and call K&N to see what they say about the Honk, but the shop i bought this from allows for 14 day returns so i think it's going back. Hopefully i can find an exhaust to give a cool sound.

I tried to give as many details as possible for those that want it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Good report and honest evaluation. Too many tend to sugar coat results to justify their expenditures.

This seems to be another confirmation that not much is gained at this point in messing with the stock 5.0 intake. Ford did a pretty good job and money would be better spent other places for now.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Nice honest review. Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 AM

Great review. I know what I won't be buying as a result of this honest assessment. Thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks...

The intake is off the truck. I called K&N and they will refund me the purchase price, and shipping to me. I just have to pay to ship it to them. Disappointed it didn't work. and happy with the truck.

I did a 40 mile run today mostly freeway 55-65mph and got 20.1 mpg. stock intake. I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would have to agree, I was really looking to invest in a CAI kit for my 2013 5.0 STX but I do a good bit of highway driving for work (68-70 mph). I am averaging 19.1 mpg on my trucks computer but calculated I am over 20 mpg so at the end of the day have to be pretty happy with that and I cannot justify spending 250-300 bucks for no gain.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Lite Up The Twins

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the K&N honk.

I installed a new Airaid CAI and love it. I have a Ecoboost
but I bet it would work well on the 5.0 as well.

I got a little better gas mileage, about 3 tenths and a tad
more HP.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Save your money on cai and just invest in a sct custom tune.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Default I have the 63 series

Is this the sound your talking about under light acceleration, up hill slightly?

I have since replaced the K&N filter on this kit with a airaid dry synthamax filter that is slightly smaller than the K&N. I like mine, but I do still get just a very tiny vibration when I hit it hard for just a split second. I only added mine to do the engine cover. I paid like $198 for mine and the additional new air aid filter was about $50 bucks. That sound on my video when the K&N filter was on I think is just the air entering the throttle body since the tube has no silencers on it. Sorry yours didnt work out. I think the Airaid Jr would be a good choice too.

Quick Reply: 5.0 K&N Intake review and gas mileage check