Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 Exhaust, a little different of a question/need..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 5.0 Exhaust, a little different of a question/need..

Hello fellow 5.0 owners. I am in the market for an exhaust for my 2011 FX4 5.0. I have listened to countless, most likely useless videos to exhausts as I am sure, even on my bose headphones they all sound way different in real life. I have read the exhaust sticky, and tons of posts.

Most are looking for something a touch different than me so I will pose my wants and am interested to hear you thoughts. I dont want anything overly loud. I want a noticeable full sounding tone that accents the motor well. When I am cruising I wouldn't mind hearing a good accent of what you can already hear from the stock motor sound. When I get on it I want it to be known, but not crazy loud like it seems the Borla ATAK and similar sound.

I will most likely go with a single side exit with dual tips but could be swayed to stay with a single tip. If I go duals, I really like the high hidden look that come down out of the bed, face down towards the road like so /\ I will not be going with a dual under the bumper, or behind the mud flap sideways look. I would like to eventually do an air intake and a tuner as well, and will most likely stop there for engine mods. I will be keeping the cats and no headers for now on this rig.

On the internet from what I can see, the Borla Touring sounds pretty good, possibly the Flowmaster Force II, I really cant tell about the Corsa DB. The Solo system sounds good but I am not sure if it would be to loud. I do not mind what brand I end up with.

My questions to you all are:

Do any of you have exhausts you feel fit this bill, what are they, and do you have a high quality video/sound clip and or pics?

Has anyone done any tests to see if they obtained gains from the exhaust? I absolutely do not want to lose HP, torque or MPG. I have read some posts on here the the stock exhaust provides the most power on these trucks, and aftermarket exhausts reduce all of which I mentioned. Is there any TESTED AND TRUE proof of this? If so then I will not be doing an exhaust.

Thanks all, I am curios to hear your thoughts.. sorry for the length.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to the muffler shop I think 4 different times to try and get the sound "right" in terms of what I was looking for.

Not sure if this helps but here's my story:

Started with a 14" Magnaflow with no resonator. Way too much drone.

Put a glasspack on where resonator was and it was still too much with the 14" Magnaflow

Switched to the Borla 400436 Muffler and it made a big difference.

Over time I wanted a little bit more sound so I ditched the glass pack and went back to a straight pipe through the 400436 and now it's just about perfect.

I can cruise with almost zero drone but when I get on it it sounds phenomenal.

Unlike what you're looking for, I wanted the look of no pipes so I have mine cut right over the axle which oddly enough I think reduced the drone (the minimal amount there was) vs having the pipe out the back in the stock location.

Oh and there is none of that nasty rasp that I've heard with some of the louder set-ups. I'm as anti-rasp as they get and my current set up doesn't have a hint of it.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the muffler shop remove the resonator and put in an 18" magnaflow single in dual out muffler. 3 inch in 2 1/4 out. I have mine exit straight out tucked neatly under the bumper. It growls on start up, mellow tone at idle, pretty loud at wot ( not obnoxious) and no drone on the hwy. everybody that hears it always compliments me on the sound. Plus at $350 it was way cheaper than a bolt on catback.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted the same as you and after a couple tries I ended up with the Flowmaster 70 Series Big Block, and left the resonater on. It isn't too loud, but sounds like a truck should. I can hear my exhaust cruising down the road without any drone, and it really roars when you put your foot into it.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would go the 70 series FM muffler swap and buy a nice tip like above.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM

This is all great info. Do you guys have any video or sound clips?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Not mine
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_boy
I had the muffler shop remove the resonator and put in an 18" magnaflow single in dual out muffler. 3 inch in 2 1/4 out. I have mine exit straight out tucked neatly under the bumper. It growls on start up, mellow tone at idle, pretty loud at wot ( not obnoxious) and no drone on the hwy. everybody that hears it always compliments me on the sound. Plus at $350 it was way cheaper than a bolt on catback.
That's what I did except the pipes exit out each side and it was loud enough (especially pulling my boat) that I had the res put back on. Makes me wonder if pipe exit location does make a difference...mine was also a little too raspy at times...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_N
I've been to the muffler shop I think 4 different times to try and get the sound "right" in terms of what I was looking for.

Not sure if this helps but here's my story:

Started with a 14" Magnaflow with no resonator. Way too much drone.

Put a glasspack on where resonator was and it was still too much with the 14" Magnaflow

Switched to the Borla 400436 Muffler and it made a big difference.

Over time I wanted a little bit more sound so I ditched the glass pack and went back to a straight pipe through the 400436 and now it's just about perfect.

I can cruise with almost zero drone but when I get on it it sounds phenomenal.

Unlike what you're looking for, I wanted the look of no pipes so I have mine cut right over the axle which oddly enough I think reduced the drone (the minimal amount there was) vs having the pipe out the back in the stock location.

Oh and there is none of that nasty rasp that I've heard with some of the louder set-ups. I'm as anti-rasp as they get and my current set up doesn't have a hint of it.

Mike_N: Do you have any sound clips to hear?

Is anyone with 5.0's running the Borla 40349. I stumbled on some 5.4 videos running the Borla 40349 and I must say they sound awesome. I am just wondering what it would sound like with the 5.0.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my muffler replaced with a at303L and it drones like crazy looking for something new. I had a 18" Magnaflow on my ram and loved thinking about going back to that. I would suggest Magnaflow or Borla.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Exhaust, a little different of a question/need..