Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 Engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 Engine knock

I need some help here guys. I have a 2011 5.0 cc shortbed with 3.55 4x4 just to get all of that out of the way. I have been noticing for quite a while that I have a small knock in my engine on the passenger side. The truck just rolled 36,000 miles. I checked on the forums and found the ac belt issue and the timing chain tensioner issue. However I don't believe either of these issues are mine. I don't here the knock all of the time, but usually after it is warmed up or been driven a lot that day. The other time I really notice it is when I am at a drive thru where you can hear it echoing off the building. If I had to take a guess right now I would say is it is in the valvetrain, but I am no expert. I expressed my concern to the dealership, and they listened to it. As most of you are used to the answer I received as well was that the noise is "normal". I told the shop manager that the engine shouldn't be knocking at all, and if it would have been knocking when I bought the truck I wouldn't have. I asked him if he would buy it with the knock it has, and of course he didn't give me an answer. Go figure.

I have turned in a couple warranty claims, and they fight me on every one of the claims. I am really starting to get pissed. If it wasn't for the $15 oil changes I would never use the shop again, and go elsewhere until warranty runs out then do the work myself.

As for the knock they told me that it isn't that loud, and they had another truck that has the same knock they have been working on. So I am backburnered until they find out what is wrong with the other truck, it blows up (which I don't see happening), or ford recognizes the problem and sends out a tsb. My knock is very consistent and isn't intermittent like i have heard for the timing chain issue.

If anyone else has/had this issue can you please lmk what was wrong. I am hoping I am not the only one. Otherwise I have a long struggle and fight to get this thing fixed before I run out of the 60K mile warranty which will take me about another 1/2 -1 year.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

The modern high pressure fuel injected engines do sound very different. Each time the injectors squirt fuel into the cylinders, there is a noticeable "click"...especially in gear at idle. Some engines sound louder than others too.
I don't know if this is what you are hearing.....if the noise is kind of high and of very short duration, then it may be injector noise, which IS normal. Does it disappear immediately when you rev the engine off of idle?
If the noise is lower in frequency, sounds more metallic and is isolated to one small part of the engine,, then it may be that you have an engine problem of some kind. Even though your dealer told you the noise was normal, ask them to make sure the noise you reported IS logged in your service records.....
Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM

It's not the injectors. I can hear them clicking as well. The knock does go away after revving. If it is knocking and the engine is cold then you can mat the gas, and the engine will knock really rapidly for a second or two then all is normal. This is why I believe it is a valvetrain issue. Also then engine does use some oil every 5,000 miles when I get it changed. Of course ford says that is normal to. This is definitely a knock and not a "click" or "tick". They did mark it down, but they would not mark it down as "not normal". I tried everything, but they said they had to mark it down as "normal".
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

If it is really bothering you, I would go take it to another dealer. I don't remember who it was, but there was a thread on here with a video of his knock. His problem turned out to be piston slap due a milling defect in the cylinder.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM

I average 40,000+ miles a year. So I am a little concerned how long it will last since it A. Knocks a little and B. uses around a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I rely on this thing too much to just shrug off things. Plus I hate it that I have a nice pickup sitting there running and it has a knock in the engine. Kinda hard to hate on the gm and dodge guys when your truck has a knock while idling.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic Lightning
I need some help here guys. I have a 2011 5.0 cc shortbed with 3.55 4x4 just to get all of that out of the way. I have been noticing for quite a while that I have a small knock in my engine on the passenger side. The truck just rolled 36,000 miles. I checked on the forums and found the ac belt issue and the timing chain tensioner issue. However I don't believe either of these issues are mine. I don't here the knock all of the time, but usually after it is warmed up or been driven a lot that day. The other time I really notice it is when I am at a drive thru where you can hear it echoing off the building. If I had to take a guess right now I would say is it is in the valvetrain, but I am no expert. I expressed my concern to the dealership, and they listened to it. As most of you are used to the answer I received as well was that the noise is "normal". I told the shop manager that the engine shouldn't be knocking at all, and if it would have been knocking when I bought the truck I wouldn't have. I asked him if he would buy it with the knock it has, and of course he didn't give me an answer. Go figure.

I have turned in a couple warranty claims, and they fight me on every one of the claims. I am really starting to get pissed. If it wasn't for the $15 oil changes I would never use the shop again, and go elsewhere until warranty runs out then do the work myself.

As for the knock they told me that it isn't that loud, and they had another truck that has the same knock they have been working on. So I am backburnered until they find out what is wrong with the other truck, it blows up (which I don't see happening), or ford recognizes the problem and sends out a tsb. My knock is very consistent and isn't intermittent like i have heard for the timing chain issue.

If anyone else has/had this issue can you please lmk what was wrong. I am hoping I am not the only one. Otherwise I have a long struggle and fight to get this thing fixed before I run out of the 60K mile warranty which will take me about another 1/2 -1 year.
drain the oil and run here hard put oil back in lol. and go getcha a brand new motor.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Doesn't sound like piston slap. Piston slap would go away after the engine warmed up to operating temps. Knock usually worsens under load. Next oil change do it yourself. Check for glitter/chunks of metal and cut open the oil filter with a cheap filter cutter to look for evidence of internal wear or damage. $.02
Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Do any you guys think the valve lash could be off. It could just be out of spec.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

You could also get an oil analysis done to see if anything is not normal. If you have a Caterpillar dealer near you, they sell them. If not you will have to get one online from Blackstone. At Cat they cost around $14 or so for the kit.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 AM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Cat you can get a turn around in 2 or 3 days if you ask. The bottle is the entire cost. If you have a hard time reading the results post it up or pm me, cat dealer mechanic for 9 years here.

Take the sample hot, if you get it from the drain count to 5 after the oil starts running so your not catching crud off the pan.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Engine knock