Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.7/5.0/3.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.7/5.0/3.5

Been to 4 dealers now and can't find a 3.7 in a 4X4 supercab or regular cab, makes me wonder if there is a reason for that. I opted to drive the 3.7 in a 4X2 supercab followed with driving a 5.0 4X4 in a supercab and then the 3.5 eco 4X4 in the supercab one after the other in that order. I drove all three on the same 6 mile route the same way, flat, 3 stop signs, no interstate, some winding roads and I opted to get on it at two places on each route, not full throttle but about 3/4 throttle, the remainder I was soft on the pedal. The 3.7 read 16.9MPG, the 5.0 read 14.9 MPG, the 3.5 15.7 MPG. The 3.7 was no thrills and it did sound more like a sports car when I got on it as it rev'ed up. It was a bit sluggish to get started when mashing the pedal but rev'ed up fine after kicking into lower gear. Reminded me of deciding between the V6 and V4 when I bought my Tacoma (I got the V6). The 5.0 acted like a V8, pretty much steady as she goes and you could feel the punch much more than the 3.7 as expected. The 3.5 was steady as she goes with the exception of the fractional second of turbo lag but when it kicked in it pushed you back against the seat slightly, you could feel the difference between it and the 5.0, the eco had more punch. The dealer did tell me Ford has sunk their reputation into the ECO for what's it's worth, if it fails its going to be ugly. In the dealers mind the 5.0 and 3.5 are both new motors but he preferred the 3.5. I did too, but my concern is......will it hold up overtime and be a 150-200K milage truck without heavy repairs to the motor. The 3.7 was ok in the 4X2 but I suspect in a 4X4 that MPG would be the same as the ECO. I just don't see the 3.7 out there in 4X4, not sure if its a performance thing or Ford still sees 4X4 owners as wanting the 5.0 macho thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

ill vouche for the 5.0 macho thing. I wanted a V8 because i like the sound of a V8. plain and simple. twin turboed v6s dont push my buttons
Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Just think about it; Ford junked the whole truck engine line up for 4 brand new engines!
I can't imagine them crossing their fingers and thinking " sure hope everything is OK".

The F150 is Ford's golden goose and I doubt they will casually cook it - indeed I believe these new engines were developed to put Ford way ahead of the competition and position them for any new regulations that come in the future.

The engine platforms you see now will be able to be augmented as necessary to keep the F150 desireability in tact for some time.

Heck I bought 2 EB F150s in a months time, I like them so much.

You KNOW I'm in.....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.7 engine: oil burner??

I have a new 2011 with the 3.7.It does get better mileage than the others. The only thing that bothers me is that it needed a full quart of oil at 3000 miles. The garage said this was normal???????
Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by blackknight87
ill vouche for the 5.0 macho thing. I wanted a V8 because i like the sound of a V8. plain and simple. twin turboed v6s dont push my buttons
Totally agree. I also put a Magnaflow - NOW it sounds REAL GOOD.

Heard nothing but great things about the EB but - I like the V8 sound - I want you to hear me coming.

Macho? Hell YEAH!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the Eco. It's my first truck so the (lack of) sound wasn't a factor. I wasn't even considering a Ford before these new engines came out. I went with it because it's got the low-end torque and horsepower I need for towing and the mileage I want for a daily driver. The GIANT, MASSIVE rear seat area is just a nice bonus.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Driver

Originally Posted by justjimmy
Totally agree. I also put a Magnaflow - NOW it sounds REAL GOOD.

Heard nothing but great things about the EB but - I like the V8 sound - I want you to hear me coming.

Macho? Hell YEAH!
How much did the magnaflow run you? and also, did you see any increase in MPGs? i know urs is an FX2 so u prolly get better mpgs anyways, but just something to compare too.

Im looking at exhaust, and im inbetween magnaflow and borla. one being way more expensive....

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Driver

Originally Posted by hogger1969
I have a new 2011 with the 3.7.It does get better mileage than the others. The only thing that bothers me is that it needed a full quart of oil at 3000 miles. The garage said this was normal???????
It was probably low from the factory. The factory leaves about about a half to 1 quart low to save a bit of money. Ur dealership is supposed to top it off when they deliver the vehicle to you. I checked mine at the dealership before i left, and sure enought it was about a half quart low. I said u better fill that thing up! or else! lol
Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by blackknight87
How much did the magnaflow run you? and also, did you see any increase in MPGs? i know urs is an FX2 so u prolly get better mpgs anyways, but just something to compare too.

I'm looking at exhaust, and im in between magnaflow and borla. one being way more expensive....
I paid right around $500.00. Paid too much cause I got it from the dealer.

Magnaflow Cat-back Dual exhaust - chrome tips welded onto the end of the pipes (not sleeves over the pipe).

I've noticed no mileage increase at all - nothing.

I understand that the Borla is more expensive and much louder - better, deeper sound. Heard some good things about Borla.

Last edited by justjimmy; 05-12-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added last sentance
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Driver

Originally Posted by justjimmy
I paid right around $500.00. Paid too much cause I got it from the dealer.

Magnaflow Cat-back Dual exhaust - chrome tips welded onto the end of the pipes (not sleeves over the pipe).

I've noticed no mileage increase at all - nothing.

I understand that the Borla is more expensive and much louder - better, deeper sound. Heard some good things about Borla.
I had borla on my last truck. LOVED IT. its a good sounding exhaust.