Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150 > 2011+ Engine Related Questions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Member
 
clearnetedm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leghost View Post
If the new firmware can be designed/written to prevent boost at the CAC inlet in cruise mode and still keep the turboes spun up right to, but NEVER beyond, the cusp of producing boost pressure then the condensate will not form with low to moderate, no boost, throttle positions.

Then the CAC can be returned to FULL efficiency, no de-rating via blockage of cooling airflow required.
Thanks and this helps. I'm just not sure if the top/back piece is part of the normal design or is part of the blockage design. I'll try and grab a picture of the pieces.
clearnetedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 139
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I went ahead and removed the front top shield figuring if I have any issues I have the TBS to fall back on. I left the rear top shield in place.
Wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leghost View Post
If the new firmware can be designed/written to prevent boost at the CAC inlet in cruise mode and still keep the turboes spun up right to, but NEVER beyond, the cusp of producing boost pressure then the condensate will not form with low to moderate, no boost, throttle positions.

Then the CAC can be returned to FULL efficiency, no de-rating via blockage of cooling airflow required.
Gonna be hard to get full efficiency with the newer CAC's since Ford changed them internally.

I said screw it and got the Wagner.
__________________
2013 F-150 SCREW KING RANCH 6.5' bed, 4x4 Ecoboost in Kodiak Brown/ Adobe, 3.73 with E-locker, max tow, King Ranch Luxury Package, Off Road package, SSI ,5 Star,and SCT tuned, Wagner CAC, B&W hitch, Firestone airbags, Ride Rite wireless controller, Weathertech mats
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
13'TwinScrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 106
Thanked 153 Times in 103 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
Gonna be hard to get full efficiency with the newer CAC's since Ford changed them internally.

I said screw it and got the Wagner.
This the 2013+ CAC have what appear to be foam pieces internally that prevent efficiency. It basically looks like they attempted to do everything possible to raise the temps in the CAC in a hope to vaporize the condensate, IMHO.

I pulled the top plate and mine and in about 200 miles had the limp mose issue in the rain. Threw that sucker right back on and have had no issues since.

All I know WBY5 box code that they flashed me to SUCKS royally.
__________________

Traded--->2013 Two-tone Tuxedo Black and Ingot Silver 3.5L Ecoboost sCrew 4x4
w/ off-road package and factory chrome 20" wheels, Solo Performance Mach-X Dual exhaust, Rhino liner, 20% tint and Ford's crappy newest Flash.
13'TwinScrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 13'TwinScrew For This Useful Post:
bk117wrench (04-18-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 136 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearnetedm View Post
When they say remove the top deflector is that just the front top or the piece that is on top and curves to the back as well? IE do you remove both top pieces? I hope that makes sense?
You just remove the top front piece only.
__________________
Check out all my Ford Tech Repair Videos @
http://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco
Please Subscribe. Always something new and interesting!
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #36
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
taubr unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I removed it all. I want air to flow through it, not through then deflected downwards then somewhere else.
__________________
--2013 MPT 93perf/race tuned ecoboost
--1994 turbo camaro
taubr unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 44 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew View Post
This the 2013+ CAC have what appear to be foam pieces internally that prevent efficiency. It basically looks like they attempted to do everything possible to raise the temps in the CAC in a hope to vaporize the condensate, IMHO.

I pulled the top plate and mine and in about 200 miles had the limp mose issue in the rain. Threw that sucker right back on and have had no issues since.

All I know WBY5 box code that they flashed me to SUCKS royally.
I will not get the flash until I see what it does for the truck. I don't want to lose any power. Of course since I am tuned anyway it makes no difference.
__________________
2013 F-150 SCREW KING RANCH 6.5' bed, 4x4 Ecoboost in Kodiak Brown/ Adobe, 3.73 with E-locker, max tow, King Ranch Luxury Package, Off Road package, SSI ,5 Star,and SCT tuned, Wagner CAC, B&W hitch, Firestone airbags, Ride Rite wireless controller, Weathertech mats
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 139
Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hopefully someone can report how the new flash works.
Wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
taubr unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Get a sct tuner and a tune for the truck I your concerned about it. IMO that's the best way to go. You can get a safe 87oct tune if you don't care about performance at all vs a performance tune. Sure it's a few hundred bucks but it's a better/long term fix vs Fords band-aid fix.
__________________
--2013 MPT 93perf/race tuned ecoboost
--1994 turbo camaro
taubr unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #40
Member
 
clearnetedm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubr unit View Post
Get a sct tuner and a tune for the truck I your concerned about it. IMO that's the best way to go. You can get a safe 87oct tune if you don't care about performance at all vs a performance tune. Sure it's a few hundred bucks but it's a better/long term fix vs Fords band-aid fix.
Fair point I think but for a tuner noob like myself how would a 87oct tune here directly improve this issue? I know we've been talking about the PCM update possibly changing the tune to help, or assuming, but I've never hear folks say a sct tune or other is the way to go to have this issue fixed. Does the SCT tune by default adjust things to correct this issue?

Again this isn't challenging at all. I know very little about tunes and never done one and likely wouldn't. I can't pay to play.
clearnetedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.