Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 XLT SCREW 4WD Ecoboost Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:57 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Default 2014 XLT SCREW 4WD Ecoboost Review

I recently had to pick up a vacuum hose from the dealer and while there, I wanted to test drive a 2014 Ecoboost equipped just like my truck. It was the same except it had 3.55 gears instead of 3.73 gears, had leather and center console, and had a backup camera. Otherwise, truck was exactly the same down to color.

I wanted to compare power output in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears and be more critical than I have been previously with Ecoboost trucks.

Now this isn’t a hate review as the Ecoboost was really nice. The key likes, very smooth engine with just enough V6 rumble to know it was not a typical V6 car engine. It also had great 4th gear torque which would do good towing at speed.

The big benefit I seen in power delivery over the 5.0L is in 4th and 5th gears from 2000 to 3500 rpms. It had a lot of torque not needing to shift to accelerate. The downfall is that it didn’t downshift as easy and sometimes felt slower than the 5.0L that downshifted to the next lower gear for greater torque output. The Ecoboost would do the same under more throttle. This trait will likely offer a better towing experience to those who don’t like their trucks to downshift as the greater torque will still accelerate good without a downshift.

The biggest negative was in 1st and 2nd gear where there wasn’t really any power under 2000 rpms. The 5.0L has a lot more power under 2000 rpms and will have much stronger take offs from a stop.

With 1st gear, I noticed power was as I said, pretty low from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpms but power started to build at 2000 to 3000 rpms. It was adequate but still not as strong as the 5.0L up to 3000 rpm. Since I wasn’t racing and I was concerned with driveability, I did not take 1st much over 3000 rpm.

2nd gear seemed to have better performance from 2000 - 3000 rpms, but not quite as much as the 5.0L.

With 3rd gear, I’d say it was a toss up between the 2 motors in most rpm ranges when accelerating moderately. However the Ecoboost was slower to downshift making it feel unresponsive. However with more aggressive acceleration it downshifted quickly but was harder to stay at a speed you wanted without overshooting. 3rd gear was really a toss up with the 5.0L transmission being a bit more responsive.

4th is where the Ecoboost shined the brightest. It seemed to have stronger torque output than the 5.0L between 2000 and 3500 rpms, most likely making it tow a bit easier at lower rpms. However power really seemed to take a nose dive at around 4500 rpm where the 5.0L power kept building.

This 2014 Ecoboost truck doesn’t seem as powerful as the 2013 trucks I’ve driven especially under 3000 rpms in 1st and 2nd gears. It also felt less powerful in 3rd and 4th gear as well.

While the 2013’s 1st gear 1000 - 2000 rpm lag was still there, it seemed to accelerate more aggressively over 2000 rpms. 4th gear felt pretty similar offering more power output in the midrange. The 2013 just felt more powerful overall with the same power characteristic. I still prefer the 5.0L but the Ecoboost does offer better performance in 4th gear.

This follows what pickuptrucks.com found with higher gears offering great lowend torque and lower gears offering less.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

One thing I've noticed with Ecoboosts sitting on the dealers lots as well as the 2 that I've owned. They are pretty doggy until the transmission (learns) adapts to a particular (aggressive) driving style. When I bought my 2014 I had a 2 hour ride home. The truck wasn't very responsive when I left the dealership but by the time I got home it was coming around nicely. By the next day the truck was a beast. My 2011 took a day or 2 and it felt like a completely different truck. If someone babies the truck it's never going to learn to be responsive. I think you need to drive one that the transmission has adapted to an aggressive driving style and the tranny has learned to be responsive to get a true feel for the engine. You won't feel the same responsiveness from an Ecoboost that has been on a few test drives. I've owned 2 Ecos and both are more responsive under 3500 RPMs than the 5.0 I drive at work. The 5.0 is still fun to drive it just needs more throttle to get it moving.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
One thing I've noticed with Ecoboosts sitting on the dealers lots as well as the 2 that I've owned. They are pretty doggy until the transmission (learns) adapts to a particular (aggressive) driving style. When I bought my 2014 I had a 2 hour ride home. The truck wasn't very responsive when I left the dealership but by the time I got home it was coming around nicely. By the next day the truck was a beast. My 2011 took a day or 2 and it felt like a completely different truck. If someone babies the truck it's never going to learn to be responsive. I think you need to drive one that the transmission has adapted to an aggressive driving style and the tranny has learned to be responsive to get a true feel for the engine. You won't feel the same responsiveness from an Ecoboost that has been on a few test drives. I've owned 2 Ecos and both are more responsive under 3500 RPMs than the 5.0 I drive at work. The 5.0 is still fun to drive it just needs more throttle to get it moving.
This. And with a tune it's not even fair to compare. Mike you should try a tuned one and you will be amazed. Although you are proud of your 5.0 and seem to defend it and put down the Eco pretty consistently. So others should apply that filter to any of your posts.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
This. And with a tune it's not even fair to compare. Mike you should try a tuned one and you will be amazed. Although you are proud of your 5.0 and seem to defend it and put down the Eco pretty consistently. So others should apply that filter to any of your posts.
All anyone needs to do is compare the exact rpm performance as I did. It's not rocket science.

My review did not put down the Ecoboost at all but I guess you're displeased because I didn't blindly praise the Ecoboost without comparison.

You are probably the biggest 5.0 basher here on the forum so your comment isn't surprising.

Most people would never use a tune, void their warranty, likely cause damage to the engine and cause a short life. If these tunes were possible without damage, Ford would had surely done their own to really put their competition behind.

Last edited by Mike Up; 12-14-2014 at 06:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fiveholematt (12-21-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Coming from a 5.0 with 3.73's, I will say I was disappointed when I bought my 2014 EB with 3.55's. The 5.0 would take off spinning from a dead stop and the ECO would not. Foot to the floor to 70 mph I could not tell any performance difference. This is not just butt Dyno but also observing mph at points from an interstate on ramp to a road sign.
But, my ECO seemed to wake up at 1,000 miles. Punch it at 20 mph and it now raises up and slams you into the seat. I miss the mpg of the 5.0 but the midrange torque on the interstate is noticeably better with the ECO. The 2 motors just have different behaviors. I love them both. The same ECO in my wife's explorer sport is a rocket. I now have 4 turbos in the family. I was always happy to drive my 5.0. A coworker with a HEMI has a lot of respect for it too 😎. I get a kick over watching us banter about Eco vs. 5.0. We have worse things to be squawking about I guess. I wonder how the Eco will hold up to the pentastar once they get turbocharging and direct injection. I personally believe Ford will have to answer the call to the eco diesel. I know it's a turd but it delivers mpg. Some buyers don't care about anything but that and don't investigate further. I would imagine Ford developed the 2015 with the option of doing so.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
The biggest negative was in 1st and 2nd gear where there wasn’t really any power under 2000 rpms. The 5.0L has a lot more power under 2000 rpms and will have much stronger take offs from a stop.

With 1st gear, I noticed power was as I said, pretty low from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpms but power started to build at 2000 to 3000 rpms. It was adequate but still not as strong as the 5.0L up to 3000 rpm. Since I wasn’t racing and I was concerned with driveability, I did not take 1st much over 3000 rpm.

2nd gear seemed to have better performance from 2000 - 3000 rpms, but not quite as much as the 5.0L.

Really? Next time, I'd suggest releasing the e-brake. Then, give us an honest comparison. I like both engines, but when I see stuff like this, it makes me laugh.

Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  14.0 KB

Last edited by phantomblackgto; 12-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

I believe what he is experiencing is the latest flash from the shudder TSB. I found the power really doesn't come on until 3500rpm, then it is like it gets a major kick in the pants. I think it is to slow turbo spool so that the CAC has time to slowly drain into the engine rather than slug in. So I do believe that statement. I had the TSB done and it is what drove me to tune my truck. The truck is a real dog stock now below 2000 rpm. It takes forever for the turbos to spool. It is really too bad because before the TSB the low end power was pretty good. Like stated before the truck tuned is absolutely insane.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vozaday
I believe what he is experiencing is the latest flash from the shudder TSB. I found the power really doesn't come on until 3500rpm, then it is like it gets a major kick in the pants. I think it is to slow turbo spool so that the CAC has time to slowly drain into the engine rather than slug in. So I do believe that statement. I had the TSB done and it is what drove me to tune my truck. The truck is a real dog stock now below 2000 rpm. It takes forever for the turbos to spool. It is really too bad because before the TSB the low end power was pretty good. Like stated before the truck tuned is absolutely insane.
I haven't driven a '14 Ecoboost and never had the TSB done to mine. I have a friend at work who has a totally stock 5.0 with 3.73's. My '12 with 3.31's would walk it from a dig or 20 roll to 70. My '13 with 3.55's and the heavier oversized tires on stock tune is pretty much dead nutz even on a 20 roll and will usually jump out a fender or so on a dig and then stay pretty much even to 70. I think the Dura Tracs grab a little better than his stockers. I never ran him with the '13 stock since I levelled it and put the wheels/tires on it at 300 miles. On any of my perf/tow tunes, it's not even close. I still find some of those comments laughable.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Since your tuned it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't get the TSB done. Just remove the plastic and let er rip.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vozaday
I just got my 14 and have 1500 miles on it. I noticed an increase in what sounds like bypass noise over my 2011. That could be why. Having had every TSB related to the condensation shudder performed on my 11, your suggestion makes sense. I have gotten on it, but but not really paying attention to when it kicks in. I'll try that tomorrow. I too think it isn't as good down low as my 11. I thought that it might be a difference between the rear ends. My 11 had the 3.31 and this on has 3.73. Others have stated that they thought the 3.31 pulled better without a load since it keeps the engine in the fat part of the torque band longer. But let's face it, the pissing match and comparisons between these two engines is ridiculous. Ford designed the engines tow perform. That the perform differently is a given. Toss two turbos on the 5.0 and we would all be crapping our pants and beating a path to the dealers. Hell, there would be a line! Test, buy what YOU like, and drive it. If you don't like it, well this is America, sell it, swap it, or crush it, and get what you want.

Last edited by Kenferg1; 12-15-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 XLT SCREW 4WD Ecoboost Review