Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150 > 2011+ Engine Related Questions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Member
 
regor64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chilcoot,Ca.
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2014 Knocker

I recently bought a new truck and reported a bottom end knock- at 1,200 miles. Most noticeable just above idle,700rpm,under load. I did a oil change at 1200 miles and dealer inspected oil filter and said was OK. Ford engineer had tech remove the left belt and I was told the knock was gone???? Then engineer had tech verify noise in other trucks on lot. They said they heard it in 7 other trucks!! At that time Ford said no repairs to be made as noise is ,"NORMAL", operation! Hard to believe as I was in auto business for 38 years, now retired. Thats possibly why I hear this knock and it haunts me! This was to be my last truck.
Anyway do you think it could be a water pump issue? Someone else said they had noise issues with water pumps and possibly torque converters? I asked the tech to shutoff injectors and listen but they didn't because they heard same noise in other trucks. This knock,knock,knock when I drive slow or pull into the garage haunts me
Would appreciate your ideas/ thoughts? Also please keep an eye out for a TSB that may apply. If so many 5.0's do this, they might explain or address in a TSB. Sorry I was so long
regor64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Former ECO now 5.0!!!
 
BlueFlameMetallicFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hazard County MD.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by regor64 View Post
I recently bought a new truck and reported a bottom end knock- at 1,200 miles. Most noticeable just above idle,700rpm,under load. I did a oil change at 1200 miles and dealer inspected oil filter and said was OK. Ford engineer had tech remove the left belt and I was told the knock was gone???? Then engineer had tech verify noise in other trucks on lot. They said they heard it in 7 other trucks!! At that time Ford said no repairs to be made as noise is ,"NORMAL", operation! Hard to believe as I was in auto business for 38 years, now retired. Thats possibly why I hear this knock and it haunts me! This was to be my last truck.
Anyway do you think it could be a water pump issue? Someone else said they had noise issues with water pumps and possibly torque converters? I asked the tech to shutoff injectors and listen but they didn't because they heard same noise in other trucks. This knock,knock,knock when I drive slow or pull into the garage haunts me
Would appreciate your ideas/ thoughts? Also please keep an eye out for a TSB that may apply. If so many 5.0's do this, they might explain or address in a TSB. Sorry I was so long
I just bought a 2014 5.0 after my Ecoboost debacle...I just listened to mine at idle through 3k RPM and nothing. The only thing I hear is the timing chains and a slight lifter noise. Keep us up to date...
BlueFlameMetallicFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 139 Times in 105 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Knocking and oil eating are the Achilles heel of the 5.0
__________________
2001 f150 screw 4wd 5.4. Xlt -sold
2004 f150 screw 4wd 5.4. Xlt -sold
2011 f150 screw 4wd ecoboost lariat -sold
2013 f150 screw 4wd ecoboost 157" lariat - current
zx12-iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Former ECO now 5.0!!!
 
BlueFlameMetallicFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hazard County MD.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

By the way, are you sure the sound is not the classic Ford piston slap? Does it continue after the engine is at operating temperature?
BlueFlameMetallicFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NASSTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ME
Posts: 5,006
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 232
Thanked 743 Times in 551 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlameMetallicFX4 View Post
By the way, are you sure the sound is not the classic Ford piston slap?
I thought that was a Chevy thing.
__________________
2011 FX4

1992 Bronco

NASSTY
NASSTY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 6,713
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 415
Thanked 1,066 Times in 862 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa View Post
Knocking and oil eating are the Achilles heel of the 5.0
...

.
__________________
2013 XLT S-cab 5.0
Rnlcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 6,713
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 415
Thanked 1,066 Times in 862 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by regor64 View Post
I recently bought a new truck and reported a bottom end knock- at 1,200 miles. Most noticeable just above idle,700rpm,under load. I did a oil change at 1200 miles and dealer inspected oil filter and said was OK. Ford engineer had tech remove the left belt and I was told the knock was gone???? Then engineer had tech verify noise in other trucks on lot. They said they heard it in 7 other trucks!! At that time Ford said no repairs to be made as noise is ,"NORMAL", operation! Hard to believe as I was in auto business for 38 years, now retired. Thats possibly why I hear this knock and it haunts me! This was to be my last truck.
Anyway do you think it could be a water pump issue? Someone else said they had noise issues with water pumps and possibly torque converters? I asked the tech to shutoff injectors and listen but they didn't because they heard same noise in other trucks. This knock,knock,knock when I drive slow or pull into the garage haunts me
Would appreciate your ideas/ thoughts? Also please keep an eye out for a TSB that may apply. If so many 5.0's do this, they might explain or address in a TSB. Sorry I was so long
If your truck has California emissions it's normal operating noise.

.
__________________
2013 XLT S-cab 5.0

Last edited by Rnlcomp; 07-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Rnlcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mechanicboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 54
Thanked 145 Times in 115 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
I thought that was a Chevy thing.
That's what I thought.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
If your truck has California emissions it's normal operating noise.

.
How so? What's the difference?
__________________
2012 XLT Screw 4x4 5.0
Mods: A couple bolts ons
AED Flexfuel Tune 11.72@117
mechanicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Texas Aggie
 
KMAC0694's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston and College Station, TX
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
I thought that was a Chevy thing.
It is . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
If your truck has California emissions it's normal operating noise.

.
How? They have crappier gas, but shouldn't be knocking?
__________________

Pics and Mods
"Never Apologize For Being Patriotic" - Toby Keith - Better'n every Retard Attempting Poetry (Hopsin partially excluded)
KMAC0694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Fleet Technician
 
Rnlcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 6,713
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 415
Thanked 1,066 Times in 862 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Not sure but there have been a lot of people with Cali emissions complaining about the same thing. I would stab a guess at a belt driven air injection pump or similar because Ford says it's a normal characteristic.

They all say the knock goes away with the FEAD belt removed eliminating base engine and narrowing it to an engine accessory.

.
__________________
2013 XLT S-cab 5.0
Rnlcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.