Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 F150 Ecoboost TB Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2014 F150 Ecoboost TB Failure

Hello, fellow f150 owner here. Just wanted to pass along some info in case anyone else is having electronic TB issues with their truck.

Symptoms of failure in my case:

About a week ago the truck began completely losing throttle control. While trying to accelerate onto the highway or traveling at Highway speeds up to 70mph truck would shut off with complete loss of throttle response, a blue wrench icon would appear and I would have to try and coast to the shoulder safely without causing an accident. At a complete stop the truck would continue to not have throttle control, to regain throttle control I would have to restart the truck. The truck would then drive for a short period of time and lose throttle again several miles down the road. This problem proved to be a very serious safety issue while trying to make turns across lanes of traffic not knowing if the truck would lose power and throttle control in the path of an oncoming vehicle. This issue proved to be equally dangerous while suddenly slowing from highway speeds in heavy traffic with no throttle control and complete loss of power.

The truck was delivered to the local dealership late last week.

The dealership determined the cause of failure to be the electronic throttle body, the electronic controller had failed inside the throttle body and the unit would need to be replaced. I was quoted $667 and told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. I then called ford customer satisfaction department and started a case with them. I was contacted this afternoon and was informed by the dealer that I would be partially covered and would need to pay an out of pocket expense of $250. Needing the truck back I agreed to pay the $250 out of pocket expense while continuing to make and attempt to regain my out of pocket a later date.

Truck: 2014 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Milage at time of incident: 48,800

Details of existing issues with other ford electronic throttle body failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...imp-home.shtml
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Or you could have bought one for $100 and spend 10 min putting it in yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by maplelakeduckslayer:
bubbabud (04-26-2017), CD155MX (03-02-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 265 Likes on 164 Posts

Neither of the articles linked relate to the F150 with the ecoboost. One mentions the 3.7L, the other doesn't even mention an F150 at all.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Or you could have bought one for $100 and spend 10 min putting it in yourself.

Link to oem part for $100 ?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
Neither of the articles linked relate to the F150 with the ecoboost. One mentions the 3.7L, the other doesn't even mention an F150 at all.

The top link mentions the f150, part numbers for said trucks are identical...So are the symptoms described by owners in both articles.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

October 4, 2016 — Ford throttle body problems have caused Ford owners to file a proposed class-action lawsuit alleging the Delphi Gen 6 electronic throttle bodies cause the vehicles to enter "limp-home" mode.

Plaintiffs Janis Benkle and John Kovak say the affected Ford and Lincoln vehicles are equipped with 3.7-liter Ti-VCT engines with Delphi Gen 6 electronic throttle bodies that experience electrical problems with the powertrain control modules.

The lawsuit names the following vehicles that allegedly contain the defect.

2011-2015 Ford F-150
2011-2015 Ford Edge
2011-2015 Ford Mustang
2011-2015 Lincoln MKX
In February 2013, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) opened an investigation into alleged throttle body problems that caused Ford and Mercury vehicles to enter "limp-home" mode. However, the investigation involved different vehicles and engines than named in the Benkle and Kovak lawsuit.

Based on the results of the investigation, Ford found nearly 60,000 warranty claims related to throttle body problems and determined there was electrical connectivity problems in the electronic throttle body. The automaker didn't recall the vehicles, but a "customer satisfaction program" was started that extended warranty coverage for the throttle body.

Ford owners have complained about sudden "limp-home" problems, even at speeds of 70 mph.

"The contact owns a 2015 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle abruptly decelerated. The wrench and limp mode warning lights illuminated while the failure occurred. The contact was able to coast on to the road shoulder and restarted the engine however; the vehicle did not regain acceleration. The vehicle was towed to the dealer whom performed a diagnostic that located a failure code at the throttle body." - 2015 Ford F-150 owner / Mandeville, Louisiana"
The following users liked this post:
category5 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM

I must admit though, the article is very poorly written. In one breath they mention electronic throttle body and in the next they say power control module.

All I know is that as a customer/owner of a ford product the exact same thing happened to my 2014 f150 Ecoboost and is now documented by my local dealership.

Personally, It's one thing for a part to fail...that stuff is going to happen. It's an entirely different story when it's a safety issue where people are endangered by part failure and it seems to be covered up by a "customer satisfaction program" and not a recall.

In my case they refused to cover the entire bill, I paid for the part and they covered the service. So I guess there's that. Still inexcusable in my honest opinion for a truck still fully under factory power train warranty that would not run, but that's an entirely different topic of discussion.

Last edited by category5; 02-07-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Hence the lawsuit!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by category5
Hello, fellow f150 owner here. Just wanted to pass along some info in case anyone else is having electronic TB issues with their truck.

Symptoms of failure in my case:

About a week ago the truck began completely losing throttle control. While trying to accelerate onto the highway or traveling at Highway speeds up to 70mph truck would shut off with complete loss of throttle response, a blue wrench icon would appear and I would have to try and coast to the shoulder safely without causing an accident. At a complete stop the truck would continue to not have throttle control, to regain throttle control I would have to restart the truck. The truck would then drive for a short period of time and lose throttle again several miles down the road. This problem proved to be a very serious safety issue while trying to make turns across lanes of traffic not knowing if the truck would lose power and throttle control in the path of an oncoming vehicle. This issue proved to be equally dangerous while suddenly slowing from highway speeds in heavy traffic with no throttle control and complete loss of power.

The truck was delivered to the local dealership late last week.

The dealership determined the cause of failure to be the electronic throttle body, the electronic controller had failed inside the throttle body and the unit would need to be replaced. I was quoted $667 and told it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. I then called ford customer satisfaction department and started a case with them. I was contacted this afternoon and was informed by the dealer that I would be partially covered and would need to pay an out of pocket expense of $250. Needing the truck back I agreed to pay the $250 out of pocket expense while continuing to make and attempt to regain my out of pocket a later date.

Truck: 2014 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Milage at time of incident: 48,800

Details of existing issues with other ford electronic throttle body failures:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...imp-home.shtml
Had the same issue no more then 4 months ago and I have 45,000 on my 2011. Cut off during driving which is very dangerous. Brought it to Ford and they determined the throttle body was bad. I have a Platinum powertrain warranty and it was covered. Would have cost somewhere around $400.00 for it. Not sure why it wasn't covered by yours, but thats BS!!!
The following users liked this post:
category5 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

For what its worth. A throttle body from Ford on their web site with no discounts cost $193.40. Just letting you know