Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 Ecoboost - Loss of Power on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 2014 Ecoboost - Loss of Power on acceleration

Hi all,

I am very aware of all the issues that the 2011-2012 ecoboosts were having with loss of power and basically "falling on its face" under acceleration. My understanding is this issue has been pretty limited to those model years due to the ICA problems, and were fixed for the 2013/14 motors.

Unfortunately though, i am getting a very similar problem with my truck. Its happened a few times now, and the worst occurrences was with the pedal to the floor in second gear. I have a 2014 FX4 Screw Ecoboost with about 34k miles. I have a 5* tune for 91 perf/tow and have had it for the last 25k miles with 0 issues. Here is a summary of what is happening:

-I can sometimes feel the truck jerking under lighter throttle and it almost seems like the transmission is slipping

-Under full throttle it works 97% of the time, but there have been a few occurances where it almost feels like the rev limiter kicks in around 5k rpm, boost goes to over 18 psi (which never really happens normally) and it wont go over 5k rpm and shift.

-performance seems low compared to what it should be. If i do a 2wd lightly boosted launch its taking me 7.5 to 8 seconds to reach 60 mph? (i have a timer in my boost gauge).

I will be towing a 30ft camper trailer 1 month from now and would like to have everything in working order and get this resolved ASAP. I will be taking it to the dealer soon but i wanted to see if there are any other 13/14 ecoboosts experiencing this? Have you gone to the dealership yet?

Thanks all
Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Have you done all the basics like cleaning sensors, replacing plugs, coil boots, air filter, etc?

Have you pulled the IC to see if you have a buildup of oil/water in there?

These are all pretty simple things to do that fix 85% of the issues with these trucks, and does not require a dealer visit
Old 03-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Ive never really had to replace spark plugs myself but i may give that a try. Which sensors would need cleaning? I know of The MAF sensor in the air intake but thats about it. I do use a dry filter so hopefully the maf is still good.

I can probably get to the intercooler and check for buildup. This also may be an excuse to look into a catch can.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

The sensor that should be cleaned is on top of the intake manifold. Spray it with a cleaner safe for electronic parts. Takes about 3 min. Plugs might take you a bit first time but it only takes 30-45 min once you are used to it
The following users liked this post:
TtotheRizoy (01-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

If it's under warranty, I would take it to the dealer, but maybe I'm lazy.

And, if it is the condensate issue, the solution is a $ 0.00 hole drilled in the inter cooler not a $ 300 catch can setup.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 PM

I probably will end up going to the dealer as i have a few thousand miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty. I just know theyre going to blame it on the tune (my tune is covered under stage3 warranty though).

I have heard about the hole really helping the intercooler issue i just havent seen alot of people with the 13-14 f150 that have had to do that
Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 PM

And thanks maple! Seems like the sensor is an easy first step to take before going to the dealer
Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Does it do it with the tune removed? You should always remove the tune before going to the dealership.

I would try a new set of plugs gapped at .030 also like mentioned above. The weep hole is free and it doesnt hurt a thing. Its worth a try.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

If you've been tuned for over 25k miles and have not changed the plugs, I'm surprised they have lasted that long and are still doing that well. Plugs take 45 min to change and are a cheap and easy way to fix the issue you are having. I'd bet almost anything that when you remove them, they are gapped way higher than .030 like they should be.

Get some SP-534 plugs and take the time to replace them. No need for a dealer trip.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Melwinn
Hi all,

I am very aware of all the issues that the 2011-2012 ecoboosts were having with loss of power and basically "falling on its face" under acceleration. My understanding is this issue has been pretty limited to those model years due to the ICA problems, and were fixed for the 2013/14 motors.

Unfortunately though, i am getting a very similar problem with my truck. Its happened a few times now, and the worst occurrences was with the pedal to the floor in second gear. I have a 2014 FX4 Screw Ecoboost with about 34k miles. I have a 5* tune for 91 perf/tow and have had it for the last 25k miles with 0 issues. Here is a summary of what is happening:

-I can sometimes feel the truck jerking under lighter throttle and it almost seems like the transmission is slipping

-Under full throttle it works 97% of the time, but there have been a few occurances where it almost feels like the rev limiter kicks in around 5k rpm, boost goes to over 18 psi (which never really happens normally) and it wont go over 5k rpm and shift.

-performance seems low compared to what it should be. If i do a 2wd lightly boosted launch its taking me 7.5 to 8 seconds to reach 60 mph? (i have a timer in my boost gauge).

I will be towing a 30ft camper trailer 1 month from now and would like to have everything in working order and get this resolved ASAP. I will be taking it to the dealer soon but i wanted to see if there are any other 13/14 ecoboosts experiencing this? Have you gone to the dealership yet?

Thanks all
Sounds kinda like what I had on my 2011. I took it in and Ford fixed it; turns out it was a bad coil.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ecoboost - Loss of Power on acceleration