Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 5.0 Coolant Leak at 170 kms - only had it 4 days

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 5.0 Coolant Leak at 170 kms - only had it 4 days

This morning, I noticed a small patch of liquid under the engine compartment of the truck. A quick look made me think it was ATF, but I have now confirmed it is coolant. I have an appointment for Thursday at the dealership. It appears to be the plastic connectors for the oil cooler hose assembly (pn: 6N866). Can anyone confirm from these pics? Is this leak common? Brand new truck =(

Hope this works, as this is all taken from and posted with my phone:

Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Definitely a fluke. Probably just a bad coupler.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselhunter44
Definitely a fluke. Probably just a bad coupler.
Agreed, dealer should take care of you. If they don't get a hold of ford customer service.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you get it fixed quick and don't let the coolant level drop. As I recall, the dexcool does not like the air in the system.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tones
Make sure you get it fixed quick and don't let the coolant level drop. As I recall, the dexcool does not like the air in the system.
Dropping it off at 8 AM tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kravchenko
This morning, I noticed a small patch of liquid under the engine compartment of the truck. A quick look made me think it was ATF, but I have now confirmed it is coolant. I have an appointment for Thursday at the dealership. It appears to be the plastic connectors for the oil cooler hose assembly (pn: 6N866). Can anyone confirm from these pics? Is this leak common? Brand new truck =(

Hope this works, as this is all taken from and posted with my phone:

Dropping it off at 8 AM tomorrow.
Hi Kravchenko,

What was your dealer's diagnosis yesterday? Please send me more details including your truck's year and odometer reading; I'll see what I can do.

Bianca
Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking rad fluid

I have a 2011 5.0. 86,000km. Noticed my coolant level was low last week. Bought the truck from dealer 2 months ago so just thought nothing of it. Did my own oil change last night and found red fluid dripping off my half shaft. (First thought was tranny fluid or t-case) anyways. Through diagnosing I found it's the connection right at the reservoir that is leaking, a snap ring that holds a fitting attached to a hose. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
Hi Kravchenko,

What was your dealer's diagnosis yesterday? Please send me more details including your truck's year and odometer reading; I'll see what I can do.

Bianca
Hi there,

The dealer changed the lower rad hose out and lucky for me, they had the parts on hand. Truck was washed and ready for me to go in about three hours. I was very pleased with the service, as I was also pleased with my purchase experience at Mid- Town Ford here in Winnipeg.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sFX4.5.0
I have a 2011 5.0. 86,000km. Noticed my coolant level was low last week. Bought the truck from dealer 2 months ago so just thought nothing of it. Did my own oil change last night and found red fluid dripping off my half shaft. (First thought was tranny fluid or t-case) anyways. Through diagnosing I found it's the connection right at the reservoir that is leaking, a snap ring that holds a fitting attached to a hose. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi J'sFX4.5.0,

Did you get this diagnosis from the dealer? If you haven't done so already, please make an appointment with them to get this checked out. Then send me a PM with your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer so I can look into this for you.

Hi there,

The dealer changed the lower rad hose out and lucky for me, they had the parts on hand. Truck was washed and ready for me to go in about three hours. I was very pleased with the service, as I was also pleased with my purchase experience at Mid- Town Ford here in Winnipeg.
Hi Kravchenko,

I'm happy to hear your truck is repaired and you've had a good experience with your dealer! Please keep an eye on the symptons and if they return do not hesitate to contact me.

Bianca
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Took it to dealership on Saturday. Told me it was the overflow hose. Part #KM-5081. And not under warrantee. I replaced it myself to save the hour and a half labor they were going to charge and it is still leaking. My guess is that the problem is on the reservoir side not the hose with the gasket. I will be taking it apart again for visual inspection to see what the problem is myself rather than the dealer throwing parts at it that aren't warranteed. Ps. Anyone know why the rad system isn't under warrantee but the motor is?

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 Coolant Leak at 170 kms - only had it 4 days