Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 F150 King Ranch Ecoboost Engine Fan Stuck on High

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F150 King Ranch Ecoboost Engine Fan Stuck on High

80,000 miles
Warranty Expired

Drivers Side Blend Door Actuator is broken, only blows cold air on drivers side.

Engine Fan stuck on High. Temperature was in the 20's for four days and the fan never went to stage 1. Fan stays on stage 2 (High) all the time. Tried turning off A/C, restarting Engine and it still goes straight to High. Topped off Coolant to see if it was a sensor, still goes straight to High Fan.

I understand that this probably two different forums but I'm thinking they may be related... Please help. I just purchased a new Blend Door Actuator from O'Riley's...I do all work to my truck and I understand this is a chore to change out the bottom Actuator... Hope I can get to it.

I have read and read and read all for forums about both of these issues and cannot find an answer
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

So you have 2 issues here.

I would try unplugging your battery and either touching the cables together or letting it sit for a few hours and see if that cures your engine fan issue. If it doesnt you may need to have it reflashed at the dealership.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

My uncles '13 EcoBoost had what sounds like the same problem as you with his fans staying on high. It's been narrowed down to issues with the AC system, specifically the system's charge.
The following users liked this post:
Eli_Gomez (01-12-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM
King Hater

It could also be a stuck relay.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
It could also be a stuck relay.
I tried switching the relay today with new one.. same outcome.
I even switched it back to the old one, started the truck with hood open, ran to the front to look at the fan and seen it comes on low first, then in 3 seconds it goes to High and remains there.
Put new one in and repeated this, same outcome. returned the new relay.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by paintballdude05
My uncles '13 EcoBoost had what sounds like the same problem as you with his fans staying on high. It's been narrowed down to issues with the AC system, specifically the system's charge.
Hmm. I wonder what it will cost me to get the A/C charge tested?

But would it still do this with the A/C set to off?
My A/C has been off for days now and it still does it every day. It was doing this when it was 26° out and fist start of the morning.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
So you have 2 issues here.

I would try unplugging your battery and either touching the cables together or letting it sit for a few hours and see if that cures your engine fan issue. If it doesnt you may need to have it reflashed at the dealership.
I did try the battery reboot. didnt fix either of the issues.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 141 Likes on 135 Posts

I believe the issue was with the truck thinking the AC charge was too high so the fans were put on, just like when the system is running.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by paintballdude05
I believe the issue was with the truck thinking the AC charge was too high so the fans were put on, just like when the system is running.
well I think you may have helped me narrow this down. Yesterday afternoon I remote started the truck and as I walked up to it I heard a loud Pssshhhhht! Like a pop off valve popped and released what smelled like freon. I even seen the moister spray out when it made the sound. The release was directed towards the passenger side front wheel well. That's where the moisture sprayed out.

How is can the AC system be over charging itself?
Can I release pressure and add correct amount myself?
I do all the work on my vehicles myself just never messed with an AC.
Not being a cheap *** just working out of state and don't have the time to bring it to a mechanic. I may have time to just let them check the pressure. I may try to get the pressure checked in the late afternoon.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM
King Hater

Not sure how it would overpressure by itself.

You can buy a gauge set from Harbor freight and check pressures. Or you can buy one of those AC cans from a parts store and use the gauge on it. Not sure how accurate it is though.