Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 Ecoboost Low Power/Torque-low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2013 Ecoboost Low Power/Torque-low rpm

Hello,

I have read countless threads on the condensation issue, but feel this is different.

First off, all problems are between 1500 and 2500 rpm. This is where my truck operates 90% of the time. The truck at times will have no power, I can hear boost, but no torque. It acts like a non turbo V6. I believe it is a wastegate or boost sensor issue. It also surges in the low rpms listed above under heavy throttle. Runs fine at WOT. My dealer has no clue since no code is set. Also, some days it runs fine.

Truck has never set a code or gone into limp mode. It has new plugs. I always run 93 octane. Truck is bone stock.

I have also talked to Ford service. They want me to take it back to the dealer again, but I have no confidence.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by flstfse
Hello,

I have read countless threads on the condensation issue, but feel this is different.

First off, all problems are between 1500 and 2500 rpm. This is where my truck operates 90% of the time. The truck at times will have no power, I can hear boost, but no torque. It acts like a non turbo V6. I believe it is a wastegate or boost sensor issue. It also surges in the low rpms listed above under heavy throttle. Runs fine at WOT. My dealer has no clue since no code is set. Also, some days it runs fine.

Truck has never set a code or gone into limp mode. It has new plugs. I always run 93 octane. Truck is bone stock.

I have also talked to Ford service. They want me to take it back to the dealer again, but I have no confidence.

Thanks in advance.

Check all of the vacuum hoses and electrical connections yourself. I broke a vacuum hose T-fitting a few weeks ago, no codes thrown, but the waste gates were acting psycho. I also used my android and torque app to monitor things. It confirmed that the boost was reaching 12psi max, which led me to checking the vacuum lines again. Good luck.

FYI,
The T-fitting that I broke was located under the plastic engine cover, I broke it while changing the spark plugs, there are several lines running under the cover.

Last edited by Razorback150; 06-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Ask the dealer for the Data Recorder box. They almost gave me one to document a shudder issue I was having with my SHO. After riding with the shop foreman he checked and found I had a chaffed knock sensor that was messing with the computer. Common issue on the early build Ecoboosts for the cars.

They explained the recorder to me this way: it hooks up to the OBD port and when you have the issue, you press a button and it records what the computer sees a few seconds before the press and a few seconds after. They can then analyze the data and see what is going on.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Ask the dealer to check voltages to the boost control. This was my problem and a new harness fixed it.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

...First off, all problems are between 1500 and 2500 rpm. This is where my truck operates 90% of the time. The truck at times will have no power, I can hear boost, but no torque. It acts like a non turbo V6. I believe it is a wastegate or boost sensor issue. It also surges in the low rpms listed above under heavy throttle...
Hi flstfse,

I'll be happy to arrange for a follow-up call from your CSM; just PM me your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply's.

T fittings are good, and all charge air clamps are tight. I will see if the Dash Command will give me some reading.

Ultimately I know it will be back to the dealer again. Wish I could find a tech in DFW who knows how to troubleshoot and not just look for codes.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply's.

T fittings are good, and all charge air clamps are tight. I will see if the Dash Command will give me some reading.

Ultimately I know it will be back to the dealer again. Wish I could find a tech in DFW who knows how to troubleshoot and not just look for codes.
Bring it down to Houston, I will get you sorted out...
Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds like a bad wire/connector issue to me also.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
hi,
i have this same exact problem. Do you remember what fixed it?

thanks

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost Low Power/Torque-low rpm