Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 aftermarket trans cooler????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 aftermarket trans cooler????

Well my truck didn't come with one so here I am trying to put an aftermarket one on the truck. I'm leaning towards a cooler with a fan. Go big or go home right? My questions are mostly gonna be about the lines. How in the world would I even go about using the existing lines on the truck? Do I splice into them? And as far as mounting the trans cooler would it be ok if I just use those plastic clips that go through the radiator?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there anyway to install the f150 trans cooler. I would check on that and any reputable speed or transmission should give you some guidance. Also you do not want or need to go too big!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Chadder1313 ... My questions are mostly gonna be about the lines. How in the world would I even go about using the existing lines on the truck? Do I splice into them?
Welp ... Since you don't indicate which engine you have ...

And as far as mounting the trans cooler would it be ok if I just use those plastic clips that go through the radiator?
I wouldn't, but then I'm ****. *Why introduce a (potentially) vibrating, kinda heavy object supported by the radiator fins?

FFT ... Why not just use the mounts for the OEM auxillary trans' cooler? *They're on each side of the shell of the radiator bracket, mid-way down. Though might take some fabrication to mount the cooler there. *.pic' below for OEM aux' tran' cooler location.

(more)FFT ... Rather than splicing-into the tran' fluid line you may want to consider using the OEM aux' cooler fittings and lines.

But then ... If you use the OEM aux' cooler location, fittings and lines, why not just use the OEM aux' cooler? And add a fan to it?

In case to don't know ... Be sure to install the cooler inline on the return-to-the-transmission fluid line.

---------- OEM aux' tran' cooler location ----------
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have the 5.0. I did call around to the local ford dealer and the quoted me $800 to put a oem trans cooler in. The price of a good aftermarket trans cooler with a built on fan can be had reasonable. I think I'm gonna go the aftermarket route and have to fab a way to route the lines. Any suggestions on using the existing lines?

Quick Reply: 2013 aftermarket trans cooler????