Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 5.0 Knock after first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 5.0 Knock after first oil change

7500 miles, first oil change done at the dealership, and now all of a sudden I have the dreaded and well documented knock. From under the truck, it sounds the loudest on the passenger side toward the back of the oil pan where it meets the bell housing cover. This is so frustrating, it is my 7th Ford of the last 15 years, and the first that i have ever been embarrassed to own.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Never heard of this.. Where is it "documented"?

Originally Posted by Joe Welch
7500 miles, first oil change done at the dealership, and now all of a sudden I have the dreaded and well documented knock. From under the truck, it sounds the loudest on the passenger side toward the back of the oil pan where it meets the bell housing cover. This is so frustrating, it is my 7th Ford of the last 15 years, and the first that i have ever been embarrassed to own.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I'm sure you've taken the truck to the dealer. What have they told you?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Joe Welch
  1. Did you check the oil level? *Wouldn't be the 1st time that a dealership didn't put-in the correct amount of oil.
  2. What oil filter did they use? *Hopefully not a FRAM or no-name / never-heard-of cheap one. SHOULD have used Motorcraft.

Last edited by gDMJoe; 04-18-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

What's That Ticking Sound Coming From Your Car's Engine?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 PM

I have found a bunch of threads on here and 5.0 mustang threads from 2011 to present that have you tube videos and write ups expressing the same knock or tick that i have. Some call it the sewing machine tick, some call it a knock, most say it is not audible until after the first oil change just like mine. I can actually hear the knock inside the cabin of the truck, but it is especially loud in the drive thru, or in the alley behind the house.

I have an appointment on Monday at the local Ford dealer, but I live in Hawaii...the dealer is small, we will see what happens.

I absolutely checked the oil the day of the change where it started knocking, guess what...the oil was black. New motorcraft filter, but black oil. Got under the truck, sure enough the drain plug had been removed(could see the paint on the nut was missing from the socket) drained a cup of the oil into a clean mason jar, and took it back to the dealer(who I am obviously leery of now) and the service manager said" I am sorry" and re-changed the oil with the recommended standard 5-20 and a new motorcraft filter. Brought it home, checked the level again, perfect. But still ticking.

There are few folks on here that got new engines in the first 10000-12000 miles from what was diagnosed as an oblong cylinder, causing piton slap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Welch:
canddmeyer (04-19-2014), JLTD (03-07-2016)
Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Welch
I have found a bunch of threads on here and 5.0 mustang threads from 2011 to present that have you tube videos and write ups expressing the same knock or tick that i have. Some call it the sewing machine tick, some call it a knock, most say it is not audible until after the first oil change just like mine. I can actually hear the knock inside the cabin of the truck, but it is especially loud in the drive thru, or in the alley behind the house. I have an appointment on Monday at the local Ford dealer, but I live in Hawaii...the dealer is small, we will see what happens. I absolutely checked the oil the day of the change where it started knocking, guess what...the oil was black. New motorcraft filter, but black oil. Got under the truck, sure enough the drain plug had been removed(could see the paint on the nut was missing from the socket) drained a cup of the oil into a clean mason jar, and took it back to the dealer(who I am obviously leery of now) and the service manager said" I am sorry" and re-changed the oil with the recommended standard 5-20 and a new motorcraft filter. Brought it home, checked the level again, perfect. But still ticking. There are few folks on here that got new engines in the first 10000-12000 miles from what was diagnosed as an oblong cylinder, causing piton slap.
So what is black oil you speak of? Are you saying they changed your oil and used oil back in?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have this same issue. Although mine is just a very light ticking that I can only hear from outside the truck for about the first 25 seconds of a cold start. Or I can hear it anytime if the hood is open while the engine is running.

Truck did not do this before the first oil change. However before taking it I'm for the first oil change (at a Ford dealer) I had read several threads on the Mustang variant of this engine having the exact same issue so I was somewhat expecting it.

Seems that after about 15k miles the noise went away in a lot of cases and others said that after switching brands of oil to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil that the ticking went away. I read a thread where supposedly a Ford engineer had told one customer that the trucks leave the factory with an additive in the oil to quieten down the engines....but of course that's highly questionable. Really hard to separate the truth from the here say but it is a documented issue across several different forums.

Mine is only aight tick in and if it doesn't get worse than I'm not concerned with it really. I may try changing to a different brand of oil just to see but that's about it. However is I did have a describable "knock" yes I would be highly concerned.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM

I drained a cup of the oil out of the pan a few days after the dealer did the oil change. I noticed the tick, pulled the dip stick to check the level and when I wiped it off with a paper towel, noticed that the color wasn't like clean new oil should have been. That is when i get underneath, took a cup out and took it in a mason jar to the dealer. They gave me the excuse that the "old man" must have done the change........
Old 04-20-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 5.0 that was knocking and the dealer pulled the engine tore it down and couldn't find a point of failure. They said everything looked perfect. So they replaced the torque converter and now the knock is gone. Good luck hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 Knock after first oil change