Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 5.0 3rd gear and the torque converter question (tow haul mode too)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2013 5.0 3rd gear and the torque converter question (tow haul mode too)

Hi all, just another question about my new trucks driving characteristics to compare with everyone else. I came from an 03 4 speed auto to the 6 speed so I'm still learning. On light, moderate, and what I consider more than moderate acceleration after shifting to third RPMs will stabilize and go up as expected - then actually drop a couple hundred RPMs when I think the torque converter is locking up. Normal? Just a weird sensation to me to see my tach drop when I feel like I'm pushing the truck pretty good. I wouldn't say that the truck bogs, but it doesn't seem like its pulling as quick as it should in third when it does this. All in the name of fuel economy I'm assuming?

Almost forgot, pulled the pop up for the first time on a test run the other day of about 10 miles. Used the T/H mode which was normal characteristics upon accelerating in my eye. However when coming to stops it shifted down to second quite aggressively. RPMS popped up to over/around 3k on several occasions and you were definitely lunged forward. I'm assuming this is as designed but seems like an interesting drivability choice made by Ford. The drive was fully on flat ground as well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

All sounds normal to me. I like the aggressive down shifting especially when I'm on cruise control.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear - so you see the TC lock up in third as well? Tow/haul is going to be tough to get used to I believe. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

tc locks in 3rd.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine does that too and I had asked about it before. Seemed odd that the rpms dropped then rise after shifting but was told its normal. Also something im not sure of and not sure if its TC related is when I hit 3k rpms and my boost drops from 9psi to 5 unless im on the gas more. Any ideas on that jcain?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The rpm's rising during shifts is pulse with modulation(pwm's).The converter unlocks and locks very quickly to prevent breaking "stuff".
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

I hated the 3rd gear lag especially when taking a slow turn or corner. It just feels like it does not have enough power to move the truck like it normally does until you get a little higher in the rpm. I bought the Superchips tuner hoping it would fix this but it actually made it worse by making the truck up shift to soon for better fuel economy. The SCT canned tune was the same thing. I bought the 5 Star tune and it completely went away and never feels under powered from shifting too soon or the TC locking up at the wrong time. I thought it was because it was a custom tune, but I later purchased an MPT performance tune and it was just like the SC and SCT canned tunes in this area in normal driving. Although the MPT would blow the doors off of the SC, SCT, and 5 Star perf/tow at WOT. For normal driving though, hands down it is the 5 star all the way. They also do tunes for 5.0L as well.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 02-21-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

The tranny's are very "smart". They help us and protect us. I love the way T/H works with our TT. It is heavier than yours.
3,000 RPM is nothing to the 5.0. Take that Pup out for a run and get used to how the tranny works. You can't hurt it.

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 3rd gear and the torque converter question (tow haul mode too)