Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 Ecoboost Timing Chain Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Ecoboost Timing Chain Noise.

Just purchased this truck and had a third party inspection on the vehicle less than 2 weeks ago and already having another issue with it, it has 48K miles on it. The last 3 mornings when I've went to start the truck up I've had what sounds identical to the timing chain issue these engines seem to be known for. It only does it for a split second or two after sitting for an extended time, or overnight. It did not do this my first week or so of ownership. Good news is I've read this is concerned under the 5 year/60K mile warranty but what I was wondering was if this would be ok to drive like this for a little while? I plan on talking to the dealer about this but I have a road trip this weekend that will be around 600-700 miles or so round trip and this may be the only vehicle I have to take this with. My question is whether or not this would be "safe" and ok to drive this weekend until I can possibly have it looked at next week? I've heard of people having these break but it appears that they break when they are drove much longer with the noise than I have mine.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

You will be fine. Make sure when you take it to the dealership you tell the service manager that it does it only after long sits. Also that teh tech needs to start it and not some lot jockie as it only does it on cold starts.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The noise you hear is not the timing chains... it is your cam phasers that are rattling around and coming apart due to lack of oil on them. The timing chains go bad after prolonged cam phaser rattle.
Fyi - this is a hit or miss warranty coverage item. Address right away and. E prepared for a $3500 bill.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to my local Ford Dealership and they said whether it is just cam phasers or the timing chain as well it is covered under the powertrain warranty. Thank you for the responses!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:01 PM
King Hater

They better replace both, not just one or the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tothemax:
Bravo3eco (11-17-2016), Motosoal (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
They better replace both, not just one or the other.
Yeah, 16-0027 should be replacing everything
Old 11-17-2016, 12:20 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo3eco
The noise you hear is not the timing chains... it is your cam phasers that are rattling around and coming apart due to lack of oil on them. The timing chains go bad after prolonged cam phaser rattle.
Fyi - this is a hit or miss warranty coverage item. Address right away and. E prepared for a $3500 bill.
How can this possibly be a miss as a warranty item? Seems pretty straight forward if it's still under the drive train limit.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:40 PM
King Hater

Originally Posted by LastResort
How can this possibly be a miss as a warranty item? Seems pretty straight forward if it's still under the drive train limit.
I believe it actually falls under the emissions warranty. Read all of the threads on this. I think its because dealerships don't want to do it. They have to reproduce the noise in person before they will start the repair. Some guys have Zero issues getting it done, others its a huge process, even with video evidence. Ford needs to step up and issue a recall over it but they wont.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Many have had problems getting the dealer to cover the problem. The noise can only be heard during a cold start and can only be heard once. Too many leave the dealer with a "couldn't replicate complaint" until they are out of warranty. Now that this is a known problem and dealers have experience it a few times maybe things have changed.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:17 AM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

It still shocks me I guess. I can see some trouble diagnosing the issue due to the cold start requirements, but even then I would think it would be easier to accomplish on the second try when they ****ed it up. But once it's diagnosed, it seems a slam dunk warranty item now. Hell, there's been multiple TSBs for it.

In an entirely anecdotal, but I got mine done this week very easily. It's been rattling off and on all summer on cold starts, but not reliably..so I waited till the weather cooled down and dropped it off on Friday. They left it outside to cold soak over the weekend, and the SA made sure it was the first thing on the list when he came in at 7:30 and checked it. Got a call at 7:35 saying they were going to warranty out the timing belt and phasers, and another at 8 saying they finished their full inspection once they got it on the hoist and were going to warranty out a rear pinion seal leak as well.