Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 eco heavy shifting/strange transmission behavior

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts
Question 2012 eco heavy shifting/strange transmission behavior

I have a 2012 XL eco, and in the past few months I have been noticing some strange behavior from my trans, especially when the truck is cold or driving at low speeds. When shifting from 1st to 2nd under very light throttle (think stop and go traffic) the truck seems to slam into gear. It slams hard into 2nd, and then progressively smoother for each successive gear, but 2nd and 3rd will slam hard enough to noticeably feel. The only thing I have found to remedy the problem is when I release the gas right before a shift, or If I accelerate hard, the problem doesn't occur.
my truck also makes a click or ticking noise whenever I put it into reverse, and will sometimes slip 1st when I put the truck back into drive (despite coming to a full stop and giving it a second to dis-engage reverse)

I spoke to a tech at ford about it, who said I should set up an appointment with the trans dept, but before I do I'd like to have some idea of what could be causing this?
I had two thoughts:

1) it could be a problem with the factory tune that could be fixed with a re-flash (but as far as I'm aware of there isn't any update)

2) it could be that my shift points need to be adjusted after I upgraded tires but I haven't heard of anyone else needing to do this after getting tires?
new tire: 285/75/17 -> 32.7 in
old tires: 245/75/17-> 31.5 in
gears: 3.73 and now 3.591
3) I have the max tow package with the extra trans radiator, but have been doing a lot of short trips where the trans doesn't warm up. Is it possible I caused damage from running it too cool?

Any one else have this problem? Any other things that could be causing it?
thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

For what it's worth my 2011 shifts hard from 1-2 when cold. It's kind of embarassing when we camp and I'm driving through the CG and it does this.

The trans techs in my area say that in West Michigan, you can't overcool a tranny.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I have the 5.0 and I too have the hard 1st to 2nd shift. Just took it to the dealer and there is no update for my truck. There might be something for the Eco, don't really know. I just re-tuned my truck with 5 star (took tune out for this problem to see if there was a reflash) and am just going to live with it. On mine if I'm turning it will be smooth like butter, but if I'm going straight it will sometimes shift hard. FYI my dad has an 09 and his will sometimes shift hard too.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 PM
FX4 User

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd try just pulling the battery connection to make the trans "forget" any bad habits. Worth a try maybe. The dealer is probably going to try that first anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mcfarmall
For what it's worth my 2011 shifts hard from 1-2 when cold. It's kind of embarassing when we camp and I'm driving through the CG and it does this.
I'd agree that it is embarrassing, especially when you have a date and your trucks slamming into gear… ahaha

Ill try to disconnect the battery so the engine can relearn its throttle trim etc as well. Thanks for all the quick replies!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 XLT shifts very hard into 3rd. It's worse when it's cold but it's done it when I leave the highway and take it back up to speed. And I also have the ticking noise when reversing? It's comforting to know these are not "just" with my truck but what's going on with it? Dealer says there's noting wrong with it of course.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jakefire_99
My 2011 XLT shifts very hard into 3rd. It's worse when it's cold but it's done it when I leave the highway and take it back up to speed. And I also have the ticking noise when reversing? It's comforting to know these are not "just" with my truck but what's going on with it? Dealer says there's noting wrong with it of course.
This the the exact problem I described. I know for has a TSB issued or the tick/click but all Ive seen in relation to the shifting is a software update that might help...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Default hard shift

after the 3rd trip to the shop for the hard shift and erratic transmission problems, I made the shop manager go for a ride with me. When it slammed into gear so hard the tires barked he said "that isn't right". The first attempt to fix is was to replace a connector then they called and said the problem is the valve body and a servo. Should get it back on Tuesday. We will see.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM

It's been a month, what if any changes have you seen?
I've had my 2011 in 3 times for the same issue. There fix - plug in and reset.
Not happy, you can't tell me that damage is not being done when it slams into gear. Of course after expired warranty they will suggest a rebuild or replace, I will not accept this!

Quick Reply: 2012 eco heavy shifting/strange transmission behavior