Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 5.0 cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2012 5.0 cams

Anyone put new cams in they're trucks yet? I would love to know some results from putting some comp cams in the trucks seem to make good power in the mustangs
Old 03-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bump
Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was literally searching for the same thing. I know one member uses the gt intake cams but the exhaust are the same. How does the roush blower perform and can you hear the whine?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mkrantz1106
Anyone put new cams in they're trucks yet? I would love to know some results from putting some comp cams in the trucks seem to make good power in the mustangs
I'm going to slightly hijack this. Everyone seems to talk smack about the ghost cam tune as it is apparently harmful to the engine/cats and you run rich. I have to admit I am a big sucker for cam lope. I'm really disappointed that I haven't found an aftermarket solution for cams. All the big companies say they are controllable in the new 5.0 but tuners won't touch them it seems, besides the flawed ghost cam.
Does anyone have ANY idea if there is hope for getting my truck loping safely?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by USAforce87
I'm going to slightly hijack this. Everyone seems to talk smack about the ghost cam tune as it is apparently harmful to the engine/cats and you run rich. I have to admit I am a big sucker for cam lope. I'm really disappointed that I haven't found an aftermarket solution for cams. All the big companies say they are controllable in the new 5.0 but tuners won't touch them it seems, besides the flawed ghost cam.
Does anyone have ANY idea if there is hope for getting my truck loping safely?
From what little research I did when I had my 5.0 GT, I was informed even the biggest cam won't lope naturally in the Coyote, because of the Ti-VCT, it all has to be done via tune. Maybe wrong, but that's what I got out of JPC back when they started doing re-grinds.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 AM

Major update on this. It's expensive, but cams with a nice lope are possible. After a few days of research, I found out you can buy some of comp cams off the shelf cams for the 5.0, then from there send them to a custom grinder like Dan crower, and from there you can get any profile you want. I already pulled the trigger and out the door it's about 2200$. I'll have a video in a few weeks...I asked for an aggressive lope. Just need a tune tweak.
Side note, you also need to buy the cam phase limiter kit in order to achieve lope and not have the system tweak it out.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Major update on this. It's expensive, but cams with a nice lope are possible. After a few days of research, I found out you can buy some of comp cams off the shelf cams for the 5.0, then from there send them to a custom grinder like Dan crower, and from there you can get any profile you want. I already pulled the trigger and out the door it's about 2200$. I'll have a video in a few weeks...I asked for an aggressive lope. Just need a tune tweak.
Side note, you also need to buy the cam phase limiter kit in order to achieve lope and not have the system tweak it out.
If you could do a before and after dyno that would be awesome.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigBearLittleBear
If you could do a before and after dyno that would be awesome.
I'll consider it. I live in nowhere new mexico. Also, I specified I wanted the grind to be lope-centric, and I didn't care about power gains. They'll be there but it won't be much different than the 20-30 rwhp the comp cams offer.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:12 PM

I'll consider it. I live in nowhere new mexico. Also, I specified I wanted the grind to be lope-centric, and I didn't care about power gains. They'll be there but it won't be much different than the 20-30 rwhp the comp cams offer.
Understandable the only reason I would consider cams is for the sound at idle. I know they lose some low end power, but gain it all in the higher RPM range. Just curious as to what the curve looks like before and after.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

You can dial any slight or extreme lope in with the stock cams and a tune and/or phase limiters. Please don't waste $2200 and all sorts of potential problems for something that any good tuner could do.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0 cams