Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 F150 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 F150 build questions

Hey guys, first post and a few questions. I've tried finding the right threads but just cannot find the info I'm looking for. I've already went to dealer got pricing and all the good stuff plan on ordering mine in june/july area.

What I priced out:
2011 F150 Lariat
Metallica brown
ecoboost 3.31 or 5.0 3.55 4x4
basically everything except nav system/sony system
MSRP was 45455(with 5.0 750 cheaper)
Dealer told me 41240 plus whatever incentives there are at that time, so i was happy to hear that so if anyone else is planning on ordering thats dealer cost apparently. but anyways questions are:

1)i really can't decide on ecoboost or 5.0. waiting to see more real world mpg. Seems like its kinda hit and miss with the ecoboost for mileage. So any real experience with these engines would help a lot. Would really like to show up my dads 09 chevy 2500hd 6.0 with a v6....he thinks it'll pull like my 05 subaru will(i hope to destroy his truck with the ecoboost in all areas)must be a father son competition thing idk...just like to prove him wrong

2)Getting truck setup for best mpg..i know 3.31 would be better but a lot of people say if you get 3.55 with the ford factory 20's engine runs at the same rpm true or false? i also live in minnesota so will non limited vs limited make a big difference up here?can only get limitied slip with 3.55 or higher apparently

3)if i did decide on getting the factory 20's would that affect the ride dramatically vs the 18's? test drove both motor with 18's on such a smooth and quite ride

4)this isn't a question...i was open to toyota, dodge and chevy when first started looking, but just for the record i've researched trucks for the past 2 years now and ford completely blows away the competitors in every area in my opinion. i've been a chevy guy from birth since about a year ago cause of my dad.

Thats all i've got so any help is much appreciated, I've read a lot of great info on here thanks in advance. And for anyone who is asking if you want best gas mileage why not get a car, i know....i know....want a truck being an equipment operator my cars get the underside ripped apart sometimes having to drive out on job sites...and body just can't take cars anymore. Paying for the extra gas dont bother me..would just like to optimize it if i can.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum!! I'm not going to comment on your questions as I have ordered my EB unit mostly for towing and hauling. Mine will have the plain old 17" aluminum wheels, 3.73 LS, Max Tow, so it's not really set up for high mileage numbers or smooth buttery ride.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 AM

I just got my EcoBoost yesterday. Black super crew XLT. I work at a ford dealership in VT and last two vehicles were Nissan Titan crew cabs. I was getting 12.4 mpg babying the Titan but liked the power that it had. First day with the EcoBoost I'm getting 14.4 mpg and I'm assuming the more I drive it the better it'll be. Productivity screen shows in town approximately 16mpg and highway is in the 20's. As far as power it is definitely there whenever I want it! Very happy I made the switch. You will not be disappointed.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
GJR

Default jeffd23

Where in Vt are you and what dealership are you with? I picked up my 2011 SCREW EB at Heritage Ford the beginning of March. Have about 900 miles on it and am averaging 16.2 mpg around town here. Took a 60 mile ride up Rt15 last week and averaged 22 mpg. Hopefully MPG will increase as this stinkn' cold weather breaks.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by buckwuk
i also live in minnesota so will non limited vs limited make a big difference up here?can only get limitied slip with 3.55 or higher apparently.

From what I've read, you want to STAY AWAY from "non limited slip". Seems if one wheel is on ice or mud with a non limited slip set up, the power will all go to the wheel with the least resistance (the wheel on the ice/snow mud, etc). Your stuck at that point.

Check out this post that talks about Limited vs Non Limited

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/limited-slip-88286/

Oh, on the EcoBoost or 5.0, go look at the torque and HP curves for both engines. For the type of driving and how you plan to use your truck, both are good engines. See which fits your needs best. To me that data said the EcoBoost out performed the 5.0L Was still skeptical until I test drove each. I now own an EcoBoost. You will see a lot of OPINIONS on here, we all have them. If we all liked the SAME THING, Ford would only build one engine. Best thing for you to do -- GO DRIVE Both the EcoBoost and 5.0 L "Back to Back" ( get out of one and get into the other ) Then make your decision !!!

Good luck, check back in and tell us what you decide.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Search the thread "what is the difference between a limited slip and locker" for good info on all three rear ends and the traction control systems.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwuk
Hey guys, first post and a few questions. I've tried finding the right threads but just cannot find the info I'm looking for. I've already went to dealer got pricing and all the good stuff plan on ordering mine in june/july area.

What I priced out:
2011 F150 Lariat
Metallica brown
ecoboost 3.31 or 5.0 3.55 4x4
basically everything except nav system/sony system
MSRP was 45455(with 5.0 750 cheaper)
Dealer told me 41240 plus whatever incentives there are at that time, so i was happy to hear that so if anyone else is planning on ordering thats dealer cost apparently. but anyways questions are:

1)i really can't decide on ecoboost or 5.0. waiting to see more real world mpg. Seems like its kinda hit and miss with the ecoboost for mileage. So any real experience with these engines would help a lot. Would really like to show up my dads 09 chevy 2500hd 6.0 with a v6....he thinks it'll pull like my 05 subaru will(i hope to destroy his truck with the ecoboost in all areas)must be a father son competition thing idk...just like to prove him wrong

2)Getting truck setup for best mpg..i know 3.31 would be better but a lot of people say if you get 3.55 with the ford factory 20's engine runs at the same rpm true or false? i also live in minnesota so will non limited vs limited make a big difference up here?can only get limitied slip with 3.55 or higher apparently

3)if i did decide on getting the factory 20's would that affect the ride dramatically vs the 18's? test drove both motor with 18's on such a smooth and quite ride

4)this isn't a question...i was open to toyota, dodge and chevy when first started looking, but just for the record i've researched trucks for the past 2 years now and ford completely blows away the competitors in every area in my opinion. i've been a chevy guy from birth since about a year ago cause of my dad.

Thats all i've got so any help is much appreciated, I've read a lot of great info on here thanks in advance. And for anyone who is asking if you want best gas mileage why not get a car, i know....i know....want a truck being an equipment operator my cars get the underside ripped apart sometimes having to drive out on job sites...and body just can't take cars anymore. Paying for the extra gas dont bother me..would just like to optimize it if i can.
I live in Minnesota, whatever you do, get the 3.55LS diff.

Also, I'm told by my dealer that the ecoboost doesn't get great mpg until after 3,000 miles when the ECU decides the engine is broken in and changes the fuel and timing maps.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Two weeks ago my wife traded her '09 Platinum in for an '11 Plat with the EB. It is seriously faster than the 5.4 and now at 1000 miles the computer shows 17.8 mpg. I hand calculated it last fill up and it's pretty darn close.

The wife is really good about taking it easy while breaking in a new car so that may have something to do with the mileage being as good as it is. Her drive cycle is 50/50 city / highway and we live in Houston so no hills.

She is very happy with the EB engine! Hope this helps. BTW 3.55 rear gear.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to ask …

If you are set on 20" tires why does mpg data matter for the motor to you. I'm not knocking how you want your truck to look, but the two seem to not be mutually inclusive. I do get every little bit helping though.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I have an Ecoboost SCrew FX4 and my mileage is a little lower so far than the demo of the same at the dealer with the only differences being more miles on the demo and it is running p series all season highway tires while I have the optional goodyear ATS lt all terrain tires. They have surprising grip on snow so far, but rolling down the road you can feel the drag, the other tires roll much better.
A couple mpg's can come just from the rolling resistance of your tire design. Consumer reports tests this among other things. Tough to get a tire good at everything.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 build questions