Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 F150 5.0 Engine Knock & Yoke Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Default 2011 F150 5.0 Engine Knock & Yoke Shudder

Took my truck to the dealer earlier this week for an intermitant knock when hot at idle. And for the Slip yoke shudder issue.
Today Service manager tells me they're replacing the timing chain and gear. This doesnt quite jive with me as this was a solid knock (anyone remember what a collapsed lifter sounds like). I've searched the web and found several sites discussing this issue with the 5.0 in the Mustang and F150. What perplexes me is the TSB refers to "metallic rattle or scratching noise" This is not what the noise sounds like. I am half expecting the noise to be there after this "Fix".

On the shudder he told me that they fixed that already by replacing the rear leaf springs and commented something about shackles being too flexible. I dunno about that either.
Oh well keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep us updated... the 5.0 knock is pretty well documented and if i remember right it is in fact the timing chain assembly.

I currently have the slip yoke "slam" or "coming to a stop thunk" and ive heard greasing the slip yoke helps.

Id be happy if they replaced suspension parts on mine... sounds like you made out.

Let us know!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter
Took my truck to the dealer earlier this week for an intermitant knock when hot at idle. And for the Slip yoke shudder issue.
Today Service manager tells me they're replacing the timing chain and gear. This doesnt quite jive with me as this was a solid knock (anyone remember what a collapsed lifter sounds like). I've searched the web and found several sites discussing this issue with the 5.0 in the Mustang and F150. What perplexes me is the TSB refers to "metallic rattle or scratching noise" This is not what the noise sounds like. I am half expecting the noise to be there after this "Fix".

On the shudder he told me that they fixed that already by replacing the rear leaf springs and commented something about shackles being too flexible. I dunno about that either.
Keep us posted about the slip yoke shudder. When do you notice it? On take off or decel?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I personally don't have the "knock"....yet. However I did have the slip yoke issue, my dealer took out the drive shaft and greased everything with a heavy duty Teflon grease, that was almost 15000km ago and the shudder has not returned. Took them about 30 minutes.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CDC5.0
I personally don't have the "knock"....yet. However I did have the slip yoke issue, my dealer took out the drive shaft and greased everything with a heavy duty Teflon grease, that was almost 15000km ago and the shudder has not returned. Took them about 30 minutes.
The slip yoke "bump" is a different issue than the driveline shudder. The slip yoke bump is fixed by greasing the splines like you had done. Don't worry, the bump will come back after the grease works itself out of there. The shudder on take off is more of an axle wrap/pinion angle issue. I have both and I'm taking the truck in next week for the fifth time for the same issue. Also, the shudder on take off is amplified when weight is added to the bed.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I sent my 2012 in yesterday with the knock...loud enough to inside the truck with the windows up. So far they don't know what it is.....I'll keep ya posted.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM

Got my truck back tonight. Dealer replaced the right side leaf spring pack. As others have said this is a driveline angle/torque issue. I'll have to see how it goes. Springs should always be replaced in pairs. When I was pulling my 30 ft travel trailer you really felt the shudder/vibration when accelerating from a stop.
Now on the engine noise, dealer finds out today that timing chain and gear is back ordered Indefinatly. Says ship date shown on order is 99/99/99. Tells me to come get my truck and he'll call me when the parts are in. Good grief.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you guys are experiencing the dredded clunk. There is a tsb for raptors and the dealers would replace the driveshaft. It took several months for the tsb to come out and while waiting the dealers greased them as a band aid and did not last long before the clunk was back. Search on raptorforumz.com for the clunk. There are pages after pages on this topic.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 AM

OK here is the official update.... Dealer called after Christmas and said the parts are all in. I had also discussed with the Dealer Principal (owner) the rear spring issue of only replacing one spring. He conferred with his service manager and agreed that both spring sets should have been replaced. Says TSB was ambiguous in the wording.
Timing chain, gear, water pump were all replaced. So far I haven't heard the knock - but a couple times I thought I could hear it inside the cab but not outside. When I initially brought the truck in I had noted to them that the transmission cooler line was leaking at the crimp. Wash it off and was told told it was not leaking. When I brought the truck back for the other work it was still leaking so they replaced it.

When I got the truck back the first time I noted a bit of a drive line shudder on light acceleration with the wheel slightly turned. I didnt say anything as I wanted to give them the opportunity to fix the shudder by finishing the TSB and replacing outstanding spring set. (See above)
SO now all work was done for what the truck was initially brought in for. Now I still have the shudder on accel and stopping with the strg wheel slightly turned. It should be noted that this is a different shudder and condition in which it happens than the drive line angle shudder.
I diagnose the limited slip clutch packs in the diff. With in a few days its getting worse. Call the dealer and he rearranges his schedule to get my truck in asap. Service manager says Ford has had lots of problems with the Ltd Slip diffs which is why they are going to the electric control ltd slip. Anyway they fix my diff. Updated clutch packs and also an updated friction modifier additive for the gear oil. Says mine was the worse they have seen.

Truck is back all is good so far. Going on a trip next week so will see how it all goes.

Last edited by Phyer Phyter; 01-19-2013 at 12:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
motorhead (02-26-2014)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Phyer Phyter

I'm dealing with both issues! Motor knock was supposed to be fixed with the timing chain tensioner TSB 12-3-1, however the dealership indicated that the knock is still there. I'm working on a new course of action. As for the trans clunk, mine was making a hard clunk while moving in first gear at slow speeds. Apparently its a drive shaft issue and there is a TSB available which includes a computer ref lash and new drive shaft (or at least repaired yoke).Let me know if you need any details on either, I'd be glad to share my experience.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 5.0 Engine Knock & Yoke Shudder